NJ/PA Sportster/ K Model Rider's Gathering - June 18th

All things K & Sportster

NJ/PA Sportster/ K Model Rider's Gathering - June 18th

Postby Magneto Sportster » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:59 pm

On June 18th, for the 10th time, Ironhead Sportster riders will gather in Central New Jersey.

Our gatherings are a time for like-minded, Ironhead (and K Model) riding enthusiasts to informally gather, eat breakfast, and bullshit about all things related to pre-1986 Sportsters (and K Models). This is always a really fun time, and it would be great to see a few faces from this forum.

When: Saturday, June 18th
Where: Orlando's Cafe (the former Brass Ring Diner) - 310 Rt. 31 North, Hopewell, NJ 08525
Time: 10:00 A.M.

ImageOrlandos map

ImageOrlandos Grill

After breakfast, some of us normally take a scenic ride through the farms and river towns of Hunterdon County, NJ and Bucks County, PA. We normally ride about 50 miles, then stop for a snack and beer before heading for our respective homes.

This is normally an Ironhead-Only Event, and all pre-1986 Sportster riders are welcome to join us, but we also welcome any K Model riders, as these are the direct ancestor of the Sportster.

June 18th is one of the longest days of the year, so there should be plenty of daylight for guys who will be riding a long distance. We are hoping to set an attendance record in honor of the 10th gathering, so get in the garage and start getting that bike ready!

-Magneto Sportster

(Here are some photos from previous gatherings)

Image20150509_110629 by Jerry J

Image20150509_111128

ImageG0060310 by Jerry J, on Flickr

Magneto Sportster

Re: NJ/PA Sportster/ K Model Rider's Gathering - June 18th

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:15 pm

That's awesome. These need to be ridden and enjoyed! Wish I could attend...Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby Noot » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:36 am

That looks totally awesome ! What a nice deal you've got there - Keep it going. They need to have an Ironhead / K-Model type ride at Davenport, iowa. Maybe get the Rainos to organize something ? -Noot 8-)
Noot

Postby Mayday53 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:09 am

If I didn't live in North Dakota I would join you...kinda a long ride for the K model! :-)
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby thefrenchowl » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks for the photos, MS...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Magneto Sportster » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:48 am

I just wanted to give an update on this ride in case anyone is interested. We had 22 riders on Ironhead Sportsters in attendance, many on pre-AMF models. Maybe some of you guys will consider joining us sometime? It would be nice to have a K Model or two represented! We normally meet twice each year. Below is my ride report posted on another forum (the XL Forum) where we organize the event:

"Look at all these pieces of shit." That's what I sarcastically said in the Orlando's Grill parking lot this past Saturday, June 18th. Most so-called "bikers" don't have much respect for the Sportster. They are girl's bikes, beginner's bikes, junk, unreliable, etc. You've probably heard it all. But if you are a member of the XL Forum, then you know that these are probably the coolest motorcycle ever made.

16ouncePBR and I have been hosting gatherings of like-minded Ironhead Sportster enthusiasts for several years now, and the gathering on June 18th was our 10th. We announce it, and people come. Sometimes a few people attend, but this time we set a new record with 22 (by my count) Ironhead Sportsters in attendance. This is a new world record that I strongly believe will stand for a long time!

The GBB also officially went international this time with the arrival of two guests from all the way up in Canada, Scott Fisher, and our XL Forum moderator, IronMick. We also had riders in attendance from Maryland, Connecticut, and Rhinebeck NY. So please don't give us any excuses why YOU couldn't make it....especially considering that we gave several months notice this time regarding the date of the event.

I picked up a new project bike in March, a 1964 XLCH. I kept pretty busy on it, and, with help from Papa Magneto, was able to get it roadworthy for the GBB (with about 4 days to spare!) Here it is ready to leave for the GBB:

I arrived at Orlando's Grill to find the parking lot already pretty full, and some new faces which made me feel good. I know many similar photos have been posted, but I just want to share it again so you can be reminded what 20+ Ironheads in the same place looks like. If you weren't at the GBB you have most likely never seen such a spectacle!

I have to apologize because with so many bikes in attendance and so many new faces to meet, I didn't get a photo of every bike, and I didn't get every owner's name and/or screen name. So I will do my best here, but feel free to add any missing information to the photos below:

Road Captain and Co-Funder 16ouncePBR's 1962 XLR Tribute:

Papa Magneto's 1960 XLCH:

Scott Fisher's 1961 XLCH:

Norbert's 1965 XLCH:

8Ball's bike (not sure on year):

Magneto Sportster's 1964 XLCH:

XLF Moderator, IronMick's 1978 XLH:

AlexL's 1977 XLH:

Bentrod's 1969 XLH:

Murph1068 piloting Sportster Carl's 1959 XLCH:

84bobber's 1984 Ironhead Custom:

Not sure on this one...is it 01k's 1968 XLCH??

Not sure on this guy's name, but I heard he is not a forum member, and was referred by a friend. It was also still sitting out front of the diner on Monday night, so I hope it is home safe by now...if not, please have the owner contact me so I can help get it someplace safe. Regardless, it is a bitchin' custom:

This was my favorite bike of the meet. 1971 Ironhead owned by (I believe) Shovel-D. Other than paint and a chrome oil tank/ chain guard, it looks to be a really original bike (down to the correct hardware) that he found at a garage sale of all places!

I didn't catch the owner's name on this one, nor the model year, but it had a really cool look that I dig:

Monte03's 1969 XLCH:

Model H's 1959 XLCH and 1965 XLCH (piloted by his brother, Dr. Dick - at least for the PA section of the ride):

72IronheadXLH's 1972 XLH:

It looks like I forgot to get a photo of Smerch's 1979 XLH and Uncle Bob's 1969 XLCH. I truly apologize and won't forget you next time! If anyone has a photo of their bike, please share!

Ironhead Art also attended on his 1968 XLCH, but felt sick when he arrived and headed for home shortly after while the rest of us ate breakfast.

After eating and BS'ing for a while, we began the process of getting all the bikes running for the ride. I think everyone in attendance joined us for at least part of the 50+ mile ride.

Waiting for everyone to get their act together:

16ouncePBR leading us onto the open roads of Hunterdon County, NJ and Bucks Co., PA:

From there a scenic 50+ mile ride ensued. We had the normal hitches along the way, but I think a fantastic time was had by all. We made a gas stop after about 12 miles and stopped at the vintage Van Sant Airport after about 45 miles. Here we are firing up the bikes to head to the after ride cookout at 16ouncePBR's house:

That's all I have for photos, but please share if you have some. Several guys have already shared some excellent pics!

Here is a short video to give you an idea of what it is like to take a ride with 20 Ironhead Sportsters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tAwc1cT6P8

I hope you enjoy the photos and video. A lot of guys talked the talk, but 22 actually walked the walk (or rode the ride?) and showed up. Some came from far away, even other countries. Others worked tirelessly to get their bikes ready (I know I tore my bike down and turned it into a resto-rider in less than 3 months), so no excuses about why YOU couldn't show up. Just be there next time! Who knows, maybe we can top 25 or even 30 riders? Holy hell...what a hectic shitshow that would be...haha!

Thanks for reading,
-Magneto Sportster
Magneto Sportster

Postby DaveC » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:53 pm

Excellent video, did you get your tach fixed?
DaveC

Postby Magneto Sportster » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:20 pm

DaveC wrote:Excellent video, did you get your tach fixed?

Haha, good eye! I literally got that bike back on the road within days of the ride. Forgot to put the trip reset cable back on, and the tach isn't operational. I still have to sort out if it is the tach, the cable, or the drive gear.
Magneto Sportster

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions