K model transmission work

All things K & Sportster

K model transmission work

Postby Olddaze » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Looking like I may be rebuilding my transmission on my '52 K this winter. I've done plenty of Sportster trapdoor transmissions, but this will be my first "split the cases" tranny job. Since there isn't a service manual for the '52, what print service resource is accurate to walk me through this?
Olddaze

Re: K model transmission work

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:10 pm

The -57 Sportster Shop Manual will be a big help. Basic design is the same with some differences. If you need any gears let me know, I can probably help. There were updated gears listed in the service bulletins of the era. Several until the 58 "final" best early design. You have to use either all 52-53 parts or change to all newer. Countershaft Bushings and Shaft Ends are different diameter for instance. Be sure to use new shifter pawl springs. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:15 pm

A dry run set up is probably needed to make sure shims are right for end plays, etc. You definitely have to hold your tongue just right to put it all back together. :D
EKHKHK56

Postby Olddaze » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Will probably stick with an all '52 set-up. Just acting like a bent/worn 3-4 shift fork. Pops outta 4th all the time. :cry:
Olddaze

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Check your specs for clearances before you pull down and that will help figure assembly. It's good that it's all there as an assembly now. The pawl springs do sack and break. Definitely want those new. I'm getting ready to do my 52 as its stuck in gear also. Challenge you to a turtle race :)
EKHKHK56

Postby Olddaze » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:12 pm

Think I'm going to put mine up for sale. If it doesn't sell, I'll tear it down over the winter and raise the price in the spring.
Olddaze

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions