No Vin Stamp

All things K & Sportster

No Vin Stamp

Postby AndrewBizub » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:28 pm

I just started building a K and I think I have a 52' based on the 552-xxxx belly numbers but the cases do not have VIN stamped.

Why woulden't the vin be stamped into the left case?

I was thinking that they are factory replacement cases but there is no D stamped either. Does anyone know?
AndrewBizub

Re: No Vin Stamp

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:49 pm

If the pad is less than .140" someone may have milled them off. My stock pads 52K & 56KHK measure around .145"-.150" tall. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Re: No Vin Stamp

Postby JerrryR » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi Gang,
Here is what I think, not necessarily what is correct. As can be seen in the following picture, I believe at the end of the calendar year matched/machined cases with line bore/belly numbers that were extra be the surplus intentional or not were sold as dealer replacement cases. These cases made in that calendar year bear that years full belly number inscription. The 57XL cases shown are my example. I believe cases made in subsequent years as dealer replacement cases produced after the motor model was no longer in production bear only a number to indicate the case halves have been machined. My example is the K cases with the "60" date casting. If I'm making these in 1960 as K model replacement cases it would make no sense to put a full belly number with a year since they would be appropriate for 52 through 56.

Dealer Cases.JPG
Dealer Cases.JPG (128.57 KiB) Viewed 6823 times

What I find interesting is why would the factory bother stamping a "D" in XL cases since they all used the dowels rather then the cones and why would they not stamp the "D" in replacement K cases made in 1960 unless by then they figured it wasn't necessary. By the way the date casting on the right half of the dealer K cases is 1963.
Have a great day and hope to see/meet some of you folks at Wauseon next week.
JerryR

image001 (5).jpg
image001 (5).jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 6823 times
JerrryR

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions