In Sportster We Trust

All things K & Sportster

Re: In Sportster We Trust

Postby friday » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:30 pm

take a look at the pic , tell tale sign is when you look at how the philips screws heads have been treated ....

last carb I got I looked at the screws then sold it , if an ape cant lift a chisel n hammer , what night mares lie waiting inside ?

yes of course I opened it up n sure enough the slide had the butchery of the typical dyno kit . as soon as you see the idle plug removed you know the carbs been fiddled and theres near always black soot where the back draft has been roaring through :lol:
friday

Postby sportsterpaul » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:16 am

Yeah, great observation. This is a butterfly Keihin, not a CV and its an older butterfly at that, since it does not have the idle mixture screw capped or the goofy choke/idle speed setup. So I think that makes it a '78 or earlier. So its going on 40 years old. I got most of mine at swap meets and maybe on eBay. Its really simple, almost as simple as a Bendix, but you can tune it better in the mid-range.

I agree galled out screws are a problem. I went to Mr. Metric and bought screws for the float bowl as well as flat washers and lock washers. The captivated lockwashers on the factory screws are a joke. When I worked for a military contractor I saw charts how a lockwasher would "wear out". After five tightenings, a lockwasher stops working. Mr. Metric did not have the one long screw used on the float bowl, so I bought a pack of new ones from Harley at great expense.

This is just one of a few carbs I am going through. Goal is to mix and match and get one carb I can use on my 1977. The one on there I had off 5 times, and the (*&^$ accel pump stopped working yet again. The crappy modern gas is a problem, but something this simple should not be so much trouble. I will look at the screw heads on the carb on the bike, I bet they are galled up too.

You can see I did the one mandatory fix already, drilling out the cracked block plastic fuel inlet and tapping and screwing in a brass fitting. Even the CV carb on my 96 had the same cracked fuel inlet. I hope that guy retires from Keihin. I wonder how many bikes he has burnt down.

Unlike my hope-and-prayer tries previously, I will fill the float with water and try to measure the accel pump squirt. Maybe I can get a carb that works this time around, for more than the two days I got out of my last try. Grrrrrr.
sportsterpaul

Postby mikeslemmon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:24 am

Kirk has a mikuni set up that is simple to install and works well stabill helps . too .my xlch is a 1 kick starter after another after another after another
mikeslemmon

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions