52 counter shaft

All things K & Sportster

52 counter shaft

Postby sean » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:22 pm

having a 52 lower end put together,i have a 52 countershaft and tranny and also a 54 set as well..in relation in the differance in countershafts between the 52 and the 54,is it best to use the 54 design with better oiling or will the 52 shaft work for normal use.i have the option now and thought the 52 design may be apt to failure and replaced by the 54 design...any input or guidance would be appreciated.
sean

Re: 52 counter shaft

Postby John R » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:14 pm

I'm not sure about answers on failures of the early type tranny countershaft, but if you do go for the later type be aware that the later countershaft has a smaller diameter on the right end using a smaller needle bearing in the right case (with a smaller bore machined in the case to take the needle bearing).

To use the later shaft in the 52/53 case you will need to sleeve down the case for the smaller needle bearing.

Good luck!
John R

Re: 52 counter shaft

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:27 pm

The std early transmission is fine for use by a rider who is easy on equipment. Always replace the shifter springs. If you use The 54 transmission you should go ahead and use the updated gears that came out. Just a couple, forget which ones but in the shop dope book of factory bulletins. And of course take care of the right side bushing difference like John mentioned. The 54 has smaller shaft end. H-D figured a smaller bearing had better support and travels less distance per revolution. The best transmission is the -58.6
EKHKHK56

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions