Ultrasonic cleaner

All things K & Sportster

Ultrasonic cleaner

Postby sportsterpaul » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:40 pm

My old trusty Bransonic ultrasonic cleaner broke right when I wanted to rebuild 5 Keihin carbs. I fiddled with it for a while, gave up, and bought a Chinese Trusonik one on eBay for 200 bucks. It shipped out of Canada, and looks like it has US support.

Its two gallons, like my Bransonic, but has a heater, and a timer. Rather than 100W, this thing claims 240W cleaning and 200W heating. They said to use hot tap water and I know why-- it seemed to take forever to get that 200W heater to get the bath up to 50°C. The thermostat goes to 65°C. I used distilled water, just since I figured the less crap in the water the better. For cleaner, I went to my trusted source, Branson MC-1, recommended for aluminum (wrong, its alkali, but seems to work OK, MC-3 is what I should have bought). Anything with Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate is OK by me. Its pricey, and a gallon will cost 30 bucks extra hazmat shipping, but I got the quart size instead. They recommend a 7% solution, so that's 530mL for 2 gallons. Looks like I can do two batches for what I paid-- it wasn't cheap, something like 25 bucks or so. Using the Chem-Dip and solvent first, it makes the ultrasonic bath last longer. Even with that mostly-clean carb, the water turned black pretty quick. It is even blacker now that I am on my 5th carb.

Ahhh, but the whole reason I love ultrasonics for carburetors: Here is the carb after a couple hours in Chem-Dip (that was 137 bucks for the 5-gal pail) and then a wash in solvent bought at the auto store for another 120 bucks. That gets all the grease and oil off, and the "big chunks".
Carb-choke-dirty_640.jpg
Carb-choke-dirty_640.jpg (79.43 KiB) Viewed 6408 times

Here is the carb after 30 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner at 50°C:
Carb-choke-clean_640.jpg
Carb-choke-clean_640.jpg (72.74 KiB) Viewed 6408 times

I love how the Philips head screws get so clean. I hope the same is happening for those dang idle-circuit holes under the Welsh plug on top of the carb. Even after 30 minutes, there is still some carbon on the inside, so maybe this one I dump in for another 15 minutes.

Heat works wonders. I thought that 200W was not enough, but the ultrasonic energy is heating too. Indeed, my problem now is that it gets too hot-- pushing over 60°C, so that helps me give the thing a rest-- the 1-page manual (not in Chinglesh BTW) says to never run it over 50 minutes without a 10-minute break. I take the cover off, let the bath cool back down to 50°C, and then toss in more carb parts. I will let you know if this thing breaks from the use.

There is a YouTube guy that had trouble with one and he took it apart and I have to say, it looks well-made on the inside. There are cheaper 2-gallon units, almost half the price, but they have less power and this is such a deal anyway.
sportsterpaul

Re: Ultrasonic cleaner

Postby thefrenchowl » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Fascinating really!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions