headlight bracket:xlch brow

All things K & Sportster

Re: headlight bracket:xlch brow

Postby hayleyl » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Yes - as with the words 'Lucas' (also known as the prince of darkness) and 'electrics' should not be in the same sentence if you were talking British machines. Cheers Hayley.
hayleyl

Postby murph » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:54 pm

Just my two cents to add, I'm in agreement with Magneto Sportster. The -59 bracket has the smaller hole for the rotary switch and the -59A is almost identical except for the larger switch hole for the toggle in 63. I purchased my tachometer kit NOS in the box for my 62ch restoration and it had everything in it mentioned on the bulletin. I still have the box it came in but it was opened and there were no instructions or template in it so I can't confirm the notch placement which would have had to be done to your existing visor. I have seen and owned the -59A eyebrow like johnnyboy has posted with the suggestion on the underside embossed for the notch cut out which I believe started in 63 because the tach kit was an option, more than likely when they ran out of the -59 visors.

Here is an original paint 59ch with the tach set up installed by the previous owner who got creative with the tach drive because the tach drive mag wasn't even a harley thought yet.

Here is an original paint 62ch with the small hole for the rotary switch and tach set up.

I just checked my 67 ch mongrel that I put an early headlight on, this visor has the -59A visor with large hole for the toggle and the suggestion for the tach cable notch on the underside. What's all this mean? I don't know, but it's an interesting subject non the less.

Last edited by murph on Tue May 07, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
murph

Postby Magneto Sportster » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:56 pm

hennesse wrote:ER MEINKE, who"]Hi Dave - regarding the notch in the headlight bracket; years ago I had a complete NOS early tach kit, and am about 99% certain it had a paper template as part of the instuctions that properly positioned where to put the notch and the size of it. Remember, these are my almost 70 year old brain cells trying to function, but if you throw this out there it might jog someone else's memory also.
'
[/quote]

Roger, that is an intriguing suggestion! My argument against this theory is that all of the notched brackets I have seen appear to be notched identically. I am actually embarrassed that I didn't think about a paper template, because I have USED one of the Harley paper templates provided in a 1969 service bulletin to install the rear turn signal mounting bracket onto my the rear fender of my 1969 XLH. You make a copy, cut it out, lay it on the fender (using the tail light hole to line things up properly), mark the holes, and then drill them. Thanks to Patrick and Roger for bringing this to light. I have the 1962 service bulletin announcing the directions for tach installation, but the actual instruction pages have been lost some time before the bulletin came into my possession, so I can't confirm or deny the existence of the notch filing instructions..

Now what about 1962-64 XLCH's that came from the factory with the tach installed? Who was notching them?
Magneto Sportster

Postby murph » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 pm

Just to throw another curve into the mix of a good conversation, I personally think this was never drilled but it sure is a head scratcher. Magneto Sportster you may remember seeing this and discussing about 7 years ago. Notice the suggestion for the cable notch as well.

murph

Postby thefrenchowl » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:47 am

The mystery deepens!!!

The outline is another pointer to possibility of owner's filed...

That cast outline makes it that different filing hands would always find the right location, depth and width...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Magneto Sportster » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:08 pm

thefrenchowl wrote:The mystery deepens!!!

The outline is another pointer to possibility of owner's filed...

That cast outline makes it that different filing hands would always find the right location, depth and width...

Patrick

Whether done with the cast outline, or possibly with a paper template as Roger suggested on the earlier versions, it would explain why there is no perceivable difference (at least in the 10 or so examples I have seen in person) between headlight brackets that were altered when the owner added an accessory tach kit vs. a bike that came from the factory with the tach installed. This explains a lot!
Magneto Sportster

Postby sportsterpaul » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Yet another example of sloppy engineering at the factory. When they added that little boss for the cutout, it should have changed both the casting number and the part number. Since they the part could interchange with the previous part, a letter bump would have sufficed, to a 59B for the casting. This stuff drives Hennesse crazy, we may have to start a GoFundMe for a mental hospital stay. Or a straightjacket. Or both.
sportsterpaul

Postby EKHKHK56 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:59 pm

I think most of us would qualify. ..maybe we can get a loony bin funded for K & XL enthusiasts of our caliber! :o :D
EKHKHK56

Postby hennesse » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Magneto Sportster wrote:Whether done with the cast outline, or possibly with a paper template as Roger suggested on the earlier versions, it would explain why there is no perceivable difference (at least in the 10 or so examples I have seen in person) between headlight brackets that were altered when the owner added an accessory tach kit vs. a bike that came from the factory with the tach installed. This explains a lot!

OK, let's add some more fire to the fuel. The Legend Begins for 1963 and 1964 lists as optional for the XLCH: 92050-62 Tachometer Kit (not attached)
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Magneto Sportster » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 pm

hennesse wrote:
Magneto Sportster wrote:Whether done with the cast outline, or possibly with a paper template as Roger suggested on the earlier versions, it would explain why there is no perceivable difference (at least in the 10 or so examples I have seen in person) between headlight brackets that were altered when the owner added an accessory tach kit vs. a bike that came from the factory with the tach installed. This explains a lot!

OK, let's add some more fire to the fuel. The Legend Begins for 1963 and 1964 lists as optional for the XLCH: 92050-62 Tachometer Kit (not attached)

This one looks to be attached:

So does this one:

Image[/URL][/QUOTE]
Magneto Sportster

PreviousNext

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions