Clutch disassembly

All things K & Sportster

Re: Clutch disassembly

Postby hennesse » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:55 am

EKHKHK56 wrote:Dave be sure and check your trans gears for updated versions, as noted in the `History`. If needed, Andrews should still provide replacement gears if H-D ones are not available. Have to have same exact teeth #, etc. I believe it was only two gears that H-D replaced because of the extra torque provided by the long stroke. Cheers all, Erik

Erik,
I started on a follow-up article to Jerry Raino's treatise on Transmission and Rear Wheel Gears - my research is on transmission gears. Oh, these are a real mess. It seems that Harley was changing the tranny gears about twice a year through the K/KH years. They finally figured it out with the early Sportsters. I've got a few days more work to do on it - then send it to Jerry and Scott for V&V. As they say in Jamaica, "Soon come".

My 54 KH has been modified with KR #7 Heads, KR double valve springs, KR cams, and it looks like KR or KR-TT tranny gears, as my gear teeth don't seem to match up with anything normal. See another post about the 1963 Competition Models book.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions