Postby sportsterpaul » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 pm

More pics--
There were hundreds of booths.
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Hooser-booth.jpg
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Hooser-booth.jpg (155.83 KiB) Viewed 15979 times

A nice XLCH
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_XLCH-show-side.jpg
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_XLCH-show-side.jpg (162.95 KiB) Viewed 15979 times

left side of the XLCH with a nice finned primary.
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_XLCH-finned-primary.jpg
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_XLCH-finned-primary.jpg (178.73 KiB) Viewed 15979 times
sportsterpaul

Re: AMCA Sunshine Meet

Postby sportsterpaul » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 pm

More pics---
Nice XR
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_XL-racer.jpg
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_XL-racer.jpg (174.36 KiB) Viewed 15979 times

There were maybe a dozen giant motorhomes, some people travel in style.
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Stylin.jpg
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Stylin.jpg (168.52 KiB) Viewed 15979 times

This was my booth. Gene snapped up the K-Model and 59 Sportster tanks behind the card table, and a German guy bought all three engine cases (1972, 1973, 1980) as well as the electric start frame. I had one small tub's worth of stuff left by Friday night.
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Sportsterpaul-space.jpg
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Sportsterpaul-space.jpg (160.39 KiB) Viewed 15979 times
sportsterpaul

Postby sportsterpaul » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Last batch
Dozens and dozens of booths, many with stuff like this XLCH engine on a cart:
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Engine.jpg
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Engine.jpg (172.19 KiB) Viewed 15978 times

And in honor of webmaster Dave, I had to include a nice Hummer.
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Hummer.jpg
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Hummer.jpg (155.81 KiB) Viewed 15978 times

I had a great time, met some great people, and made some great money. If I was in acquisition mode, there was plenty of nice stuff to buy. My problem was the 2017 Jeep Cherokee I rented, that was haunted. The lights would go on every time I opened a door, bothering the other campers. I could not get the dome light to go off for 20 minutes, and when it did, I reclined the seat to sleep and promptly hit the panic button on the keyless entry satan-fob. At 10:00 PM. In a campground full of bikers. Many of them drunk. Several packing heat. After trying the 302,405 settings on the Jeep, which is a computer on wheels, I finally found a way to keep the headlights from bothering the neighbors.
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Jeep-Cherokee-headlamp-fix.jpg
AMCA-Sunshine-2017_Jeep-Cherokee-headlamp-fix.jpg (132.11 KiB) Viewed 15978 times

The only real problem was that they said there were "showers available" and well, there was one in the men's room. One. I suspect there was one in the women's room too. By Friday the Men's room was "out of order". Since I had sold most of my stuff, and since sleeping the haunted jeep was near impossible, and since there was no shower, and since my friend was in the hospital, I left Friday, missing the Saturday show, which would have been nice to see. Next time I will bring better bedding arrangements, and I don't know what to do about getting a shower, other than bringing up an RV.
sportsterpaul

Postby Magneto Sportster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:38 pm

Here is a meet report that I wrote for another Sportster forum, and though I would share:

Being a public school teacher doesn't offer me much vacation time during the school year, so I've never been able to make the trip to Florida for the AMCA's Sunshine Chapter National Meet in March. I've always wanted to check it out, and when I heard that Sportsters would be the theme bike this year, I knew I had to make it happen. So my sweetheart and I decided to sneak away for a few "sick days" and take a long weekend getaway for some much needed sun and warmth down south.

After talking with the event organizer, I found out that the Sportster display would take place on Friday afternoon, so that was when I planned to be there. I arrived around 10:30 AM and within minutes ran into forum members (and local buddies) Model H and Murph1068. I traveled 1,000 miles and met guys from the "neighborhood" within minutes!

Well, the swap meet was pretty good, and I found so many goodies that I had to stop at the post office and mail them home since they wouldn't fit in my carry-on bag for the flight home. But the real attraction was the bikes, and I'm sure that's what you're waiting to see too. So here you go...

A couple photos of the field of Sportsters in the theme bike display:

Image20170310_135500

Image20170310_135452

Here is what I consider to be the coolest bike at the meet. 1967 XLH in Crystal Blue, all original including paint, and damn nice. I met the owner as soon as I arrived at the meet, then never saw the bike or owner again:

Image20170310_111146-2
Here is another fantastic original paint bike, and this one was ridden in, which earns extra points from me. 1970 XLH:

Image20170310_132130(0)

A few more "turtle tankers:"

1967 XLH

Image20170310_124445

1968 XLH

Image20170310_130828

Here's a nice pair of 1957 XL's:

Image20170310_121834

Image20170310_113241

1959 XLCH with high capacity fuel tank:

Image20170310_113259

And here is forum member (and builder) Murph1068 starting it up for the owner:

Image20170310_112928

A couple more AMF'ers:

Very nice, original paint 1973 XLH:

Image20170310_124832

My favorite AMF era bike, "Sparkling America" 1971 XLCH:

Image20170310_121635

1975 XLH (I believe?):

Image20170310_123018
Now back to the pre-1970 stuff!

1967 XLCH:

Image20170310_121900
1969 XLCH:

Image20170310_113356

How about a 1983 XR-1000?

Image20170310_124811

Anyone like K Models? Since the Sportster is the direct descendent of the K's, they were welcomed as part of the Sportster theme display:

1952 K:

Image20170310_123144
Here's one hell of an original 1956 KHK:

Image20170310_111312
Another KHK:

Image20170310_123649

Don't remember the year on this one:

Image20170310_112616
I really liked this 1961 KR Racer:

Image20170310_112541

And finally, a really neat one - 1958 XLCH custom desert racer! Check out all the neat little goodies on this one:

Image20170310_125459

Image20170310_125527

Image20170310_125620

Image20170310_125559

Well, that's it for the bikes! I spent about 4 hours at the meet, but I saw a lot, and ran into some great, like-minded Sportster nut cases. It was good to see everyone, and hope to see even more XL Forum guys at Oley AMCA meet next month!

I normally end these meet reports with a photo of my bike, but since I flew down, all I have to share is a photo of my 455 horsepower rental car. I have to say I enjoyed every minute of the 5 hour round-trip drive to the meet! (but not as much as I would have if I had been riding an ironhead)

Image20170310_110435

Thanks for reading,

-Magneto Sportster
Magneto Sportster

Postby ambike » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 am

I figured that Jet F Orange 68 XLH would pop-up.

VIN = 68 XLH 14717

Back in early Dec., Brian Kent, who lives in Glenwood listed it on eBay. I'm reasonably certain it was the second time listed. Whatever, there was something about an amigo / acquaintance who wanted it but couldn't swing the moolah. Remember that point for later !

I agreed to buy it for right at 10 K & promptly mailed via Priority Express ( over-night del. ) a CERTIFIED CHECK for the full amount. I do NOT use credit cards, make partial payments, of F U around. I do not have to borrow money or beg my mamacita for an OK, or loan.

Just in case anyone doesn't know how Cert Checks really work, heads up :

A BUYER pays the BANK, and the bank issues the check to the BUYER. The RECIPIENT of the check collects funds from the BUYER'S BANK. IOW, the BANK had Kent's money.

A Cert. Check is NOT a personal check and no asshole banker has the right to ride the check holder's money. Whether funds are wired initially or in paper form, the trade-out is handled electronically. That's the way it works. ( I've purchased MANY motorcycles and sometimes a seller will rec a check before NOON the next day. Make a deposit and be funded immediately. That's as fast as any wire. Not always, but often. My bank verifies any incoming and funds my account immediately. There is no fooling around or idiotic games. )

OK, Kent received the check and deposited same.

Next day, short story is : He tells me his bank, First Third Bank, won't clear the check and it's said to be bogus.

No, that's total bull shit. I call his bank but the manager is gone for a day.

The twit, typical name like Holly, starts off telling me that " they " are not familiar with my bank which happens to be an international outfit with almost ONE TRILLION in assets / holdings ! Furthermore, it's a damned lie because my bank is indeed operating throughout Florida. They're based in Birmingham and expanded in all directions.

She then tells me she asked Kent to go to another branch bank. ( her manager being away & all that rot ) I tell her : Yeah, he needs to go to another bank, he certainly does !

The charade continues for another day and Kent begins acting like it's my fault. Next, he attempts to put words in my mouth. The words being I agreed to WIRE funds when nothing of the sort was ever said by me.

Because I'm an old hand at dealing with schmucks who try to change the story, I begin thinking he has another buyer lined-up who's willing pay more. It IS always about money.

And so Kent begins playing his violin telling me he's not rich, quite worried that something isn't right, and he's going to return my check. I'm getting very pissed-off. I've made an honest deal at HIS price, he has my funds or rights to my funds, and he doesn't have the F'n nuts to tell his bank manager to take a flying suck & collect the money.

Much easier to cast stones thru an email than eyeball-to-eyeball, and simple logic says : If some old bastard did NOT have another buyer lined-up, he'd be flapping his wings and demanding the funds.

So, he mailed the check, or at least he thought it was mailed. I rec'd a tracking #, but his clerk had tossed it aside. No record of it being sent was showing. Luckily, she'd left it laying on the counter and finally got things rolling.

All in all, Kent began acting as if he believed his own lies, schemes, or BS.

He then began pushing me to accept the sale's cancellation so that he could re-list the POS without having to pay eBay !

Man, what a little tight-ass nickel & dimer ! Of course he never offered to reimburse my Priority Express charges, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm not the one looking like a worm.

But wait, there's more : If a buyer does not void the transaction willingly, eBay will automatically let the transaction end. That takes a week. A prompt tells the payer to DECLINE until any / all funds are rec'd. Well, no shit !

We're talking $10 K, and without that check in hand I certainly marked : No Acceptance. But guess what ? Their computer has a glitch and a CANCELLATION was applied, anyway. I feel that's due to PayPal wanting to ride any partial payments, or some related crapola. Has to be related.

Immediately I called eBay and got hooked up with a call center dude. You know what I'm saying. lol

The dude admitted the program has been known to do what it did. He read my reply / reasoning and concurred that we have a problem. He understood my written English that I was not about to let Kent pull this jerk-fest. Mr. Call Center then said I would be made whole no matter what. He wished me and my loved ones a Merry Christmas and asked me to stay calm & not make any trips to Florida !

I'm wondering who has that Sportster. Kent, or a new owner ?
ambike

Postby murph » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 pm

To play devil's advocate, if I sold a bike that I didn't really need to sell and the buyer paid for it, IMO that bike still belongs to me until said funds clear my bank and they tell me so. Again, if it's a bike I didn't need to sell I'm out if my bank suggests any caution. Maybe I belong to the bank of pee wee herman but it's my prerogative. Btw....I met him and the bike, he still owns it.
murph

Postby ambike » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Don't act the fool.

Your reading comprehension is lacking.

I wrote a fine reply, had to stop and it timed-out. I won't re-type in its entirety.

But, as already stated , Kent was an idiot to claim my funds were bogus or fraudulent. Or, to relay what his banker twit told him, or NOT, or what he wanted the words to be !

Had I not believed 68 XLH 14717 was HIS BIKE, I would not have been dealing with his old dumb ass.

Furthermore, I did not list HIS machine For Sale on eBay the second time ( ? ) , rather HE DID.

Listing a cycle for sale, having a buyer go thru all the motions, and then deciding to change the tune is NOT how I do business, nor expect to be handled.

That's bull shit.

I'm in bum-twat North Texas. I wouldn't KNOW him if he walked up to my door.

Look man, in my 50 years in this game " I've heard it all ".

I'm honest, well-funded, and I have NEVER shorted anyone. Does NOT happen.

I have a tremendous cycle collection & quite a few autos. No brag - it's not the best - but it IS plenty stout.

YOU, and butt-wipe Kent can take that to the bank. Trust me, It's ALL GOOD.
ambike

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 am

It's hard to find serious, honest people these days. I just had a deal all worked out with a fellow for a trade. Complete 53KK engine for a partial JD engine for my Cannonball project. I'm about to ship than no word back for a week. A few emails sent and a week later he finally responds with well I sold it because I had traffic tickets. Two weeks we talked back and forth before this. He didn't even have the courtesy to cancel or offer it for $ to me. I would have bought it. It's the new world dis order. Stupid is stylish....ignorance is accepted....on levels unprecedented & inclining in scale.
EKHKHK56

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions