Unknown Parts ID

All things K & Sportster

Unknown Parts ID

Postby JerrryR » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi All,
I’m on a quest to figure out exactly what crap I’ve collected over the years. I’m doing pretty good but am running into parts that I can’t ID yet. What are:
• The larger retainer in the first picture? Big twin dry clutch?
• The miscellaneous parts in the second picture? Big twin clutch?
• The large springs in the third picture (these are smaller than the compensator springs I have for the primary)?
• The brass bushing with the metal insert in the third picture?
Thanks in advance for any insights.
JerryR

Unknown 1.JPG
Unknown 1.JPG (65.8 KiB) Viewed 5821 times

Unknown 2.JPG
Unknown 2.JPG (76.62 KiB) Viewed 5821 times

Unknown 3.JPG
Unknown 3.JPG (82.24 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
JerrryR

Re: Unknown Parts ID

Postby mikeslemmon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:32 pm

brass bushing .for.)starter gear .) clutch sprocket spacer (metal insert) 37756-57 . ?
mikeslemmon

Re: Unknown Parts ID

Postby sportsterpaul » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Agreed, brass bushing is supposed to be pushed into the early kicker gear that had no flange for the spring. Steel bushing inside the brass one goes on the clutch gear behind the clutch basket, and the kicker gear slides on the brass bushing propelled by a little coil spring not shown.

Top pictures looks to be K or Sportster dry clutch cover. The steel clip on the over is upside down. Theory is that you screw in the straight-slot screws to hold it to the clutch basket, then chisel or use the screwdriver to bend the flange so it locks the screw in place. Many guys leave these out and use blue loctite on the screws, but better to leave the clip in to spread the screw pressure out, and then use blue loctite so you don't have to bash over the flange. The other clip sure looks to be a tighter radius, maybe 45CID stiff. The screws in the middle pic are like clutch pressure plate screws, but not for a sporty or K, maybe a 45 or some other bike.
sportsterpaul

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions