Transmission Mainshafts

All things K & Sportster

Transmission Mainshafts

Postby JerrryR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47 am

Hi All,
Continuing with my quest to understand what parts I have accidently acquired over the years, I have turned my attention to transmission mainshafts. The following is what I have gleaned from the parts books:

Mainshafts 2.JPG
Mainshafts 2.JPG (39.07 KiB) Viewed 6998 times

I believe the following picture displays on the far left the -53A mainshaft. I think the second from the left is a -56 mainshaft. I think the two on the right ore 1971 and newer mainshafts. The center "countersunk" holes that the two on the right have are different in that the center of the end "divot" is smaller on the far right shaft than the one second from the right.

Trans Mainshafts 4.JPG
Trans Mainshafts 4.JPG (32.88 KiB) Viewed 6998 times

What I am hoping to get and see is verification that the two on the left are in fact the -53A and the -56 mainshafts as well as pictures or tips on how to ID the -52, -53 & -67 mainshafts.

Thanks in advance for any help.
JerryR
JerrryR

Re: Transmission Mainshafts

Postby sportsterpaul » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Regarding the Sportster, I see it as a dry-clucth kick start mainshaft with a hole through it for the clutch actuator rods (35044-56). The 1967-70 mainshaft (35046-67) is still dry clutch, so it has a hole all the way down it, but the electric start clutch basket has two Torrington bearings, so the clutch gear is longer, so the mainshaft is longer. The 1971 and later shaft (35046-71) is wet clutch, so no hole.

I compared the three Sportster shafts here, making a mistake there were only 3 when the K-Model had 3 different ones too for a total of 6.
http://www.open-sport.org/BOM/Engine/Tr ... Mainshaft/

The part numbers for the mainshaft assembly are pictured here, but scroll down and you can see the table that calls out the same part numbers for the mainshaft as you do:
http://www.open-sport.org/BOM/Engine/Tr ... shaft_asy/

When I rebuild my 52 K I will take pictures of those parts.
sportsterpaul

Postby JerrryR » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks Paul,
I think I can ID the -67 mainshaft from your Blog information. Now all I need is some help IDing the -52 & -53 shafts.
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby dr dick » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 pm

jerry you stirred up the dust in my brain- you sob.

from memory of long ago discussions.
-52 and -53 mainshafts are dimensionally identical.
the difference was in material and heat treatment.
these use the nailhead(52-53) or tee-head(54-55) left clutch rod with bellows type rod seal.

the 53a shaft has a cross hole drilled in it for clutch gear bushing oil lubrication. this hole is between third and low gear.

the -56 shaft is counterbored for the 'new' tee head left rod and its mating lip type oil seal.
a 5/16-24 thread was added for use with the hub and extension install tool.

dont take this a gospel. this post is alot of old bones rattling around.
dr dick

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions