Viking Chapter AMCA swap meet

All things K & Sportster

Viking Chapter AMCA swap meet

Postby Simon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:05 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have ever been to the Viking Chapter National Meet which is scheduled this year for June 16, June 17th at the MN State Fairgrounds.
I have a friend who is thinking of flying to the US for this event, and potentially the Walneck's meet the week before in Morris, IL.

Any thoughts or general information about the sorts of parts/bikes available there and the general vibe would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

S.
Simon

Re: Viking Chapter AMCA swap meet

Postby JerrryR » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Simon,
I hope all is well with you. I live about 30 miles from Morris Illinois and would only attend the Walneck's swap meet there if I had nothing else to do that day. Maybe there will be one vendor there that might have some parts from the 70's. Mostly it will be newer stuff, custom chrome and not that big a meet.
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby 55panman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Curiosity? Why would he come over for the Viking Chapter meet? It is definitely one of the smaller AMCA meets. But, it is an excellent meet that is getting bigger every year. There can be a lot of good stuff and deals at the swap but it's not HUGE like Davenport (Labor Day) or Mid Ohio. Wauseon is quite a bit larger too. The bike show at the Viking has become an excellent show though, the last few years with a great range of bikes early teens to 70's. If it's good swaps he wants, I wouldn't advise the expense to travel here for that. I'm an off and on member of this chapter and it's a good chapter although smaller than
many others. I would say the swap would take up 1 to 2 street blocks both sides of street (not long blocks). I don't want to diss the meet or piss off any Viking members but I guess I wouldn't travel overseas just for that meet.
55panman

Postby Simon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:45 am

Thanks guys. I'm doing well here - new addition to the family and starting to welcome in the first of Spring weather.

I figured as much on the Walneck's meet. We did visit one in Indiana a couple of years back when the stars aligned and mid-Ohio, Wauseon, Walneck's, and a Cushman meet all fell over two consecutive weekends. There was one great booth there with a bunch of ironhead parts, but only one other with some XLCH bits and bobs such as oil tank (which my buddy snapped up), and magneto bits (which I grabbed).

Surprisingly the Cushman meet was good for us, with a few deals to be had amongst the Cushman parts. I'll pass on the information to him; perhaps it'll just be Wauseon this year...with mid-Ohio at a stretch.
Simon

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions