Bill's Take on Anti-Seize

All things K & Sportster

Bill's Take on Anti-Seize

Postby hennesse » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Around 1600, Mr. Bill wrote a play about restoring old motorcycles. At least that's what I think it was about. Anyway, there's a famous line in it about the use of Anti-Seize compound, which went something like this:
To seize, or not to seize, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The busted knuckles of outrageous failures,
Or to take Arms against Seizure troubles,
And by applying goop end them: to gall, to seize
No more.

anti-seize.jpg
anti-seize.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 7826 times

A few years ago, I bought a new screwdriver. No matter what kind of fastener I came across, I was tempted to screw it. Recently, I bought a jar of Permatex Anti-Seize compound. Now, no matter what kind of fastener I come across, I'm tempted to anti-seize it.

Anyone care to opine about the uses - and abuses - of Anti-Seize?

The Harley Service Manuals tell us to stake-lock certain nuts - like the big swingarm nut. Yeah, that was 1950's technology. Today we have blue and red Loc-Tite for that purpose. Should we Loc-Tite these things, or is the tried-and-true really the best way?

Remember the slogan: "Better Living Through Chemistry"? Is it always better?
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: Bill's Take on Anti-Seize

Postby wz507 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 pm

hennesse wrote:Recently, I bought a jar of Permatex Anti-Seize compound. Now, no matter what kind of fastener I come across, I'm tempted to anti-seize it.

Anyone care to opine about the uses - and abuses - of Anti-Seize?

If you Anti-Seize it, but sure to reduce the torque so you don't strip out whatever it is you are tightening.
Last edited by wz507 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
wz507

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:37 pm

Nasty icky stuff. Just try and get it off your fingers. :lol: Good stuff for high heat parts that you want to remain non frozen. STRICTLY OUTSIDE of your infernal combustion machine...except Head Bolts, etc that won't let it get in to mix with oil. A very small amount goes a long way. Head bolts old time were cleaned and lubed lightly with motor oil to give accurate torque settings. Any friction in threads would throw final torque values off slightly. Most Water Cooled head bolts use a sealer, which also lubricate some. On head bolts I would put a pea size bit on one bolt. Than roll other bolt threads over it. You can coat many bolt threads, with very light coat this way. AntiSeize is normally used for permanently "lubing" threads on fasteners that see high heat, or moisture or both and you need to have them serviceable. Used it by the wheel barrow load at the Refinery I worked at. '79. LOCTITE is your friend, little here and there. Building Flywheels I toss all the C retainers and screws and adjust balance accordingly. LOCTITE has many types of course. From easily removable, Blue, to Race Retaining Green. Of course where the clips show, swing arm, you have to have it for Korrect ness. :roll:

EKHKHK56

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm not to sure about all these new fangled chemical things.

We developed a system to fi anything. I have devised a flow chart to help new employees stay on track.

"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby JerrryR » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:08 pm

I love the flow chart! May I share it with younger family members in need of some direction?

Bike Mechanic.jpg
Bike Mechanic.jpg (87.03 KiB) Viewed 7731 times

Pringles.jpg
Pringles.jpg (12.18 KiB) Viewed 7731 times
JerrryR

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Great chart! However I must say most of my purchased items that fell apart are these days nailed down with Gorilla Tape...yeah, their Glues are pretty nice too :P ...3M better get on it!! At first I figured I'd had enough of the Gorilla Snot, etc in the 70s. I usually Stick with what Works...but I am sold on Monkey Man Products... The Pringles Turbo Intercooler Connect Pipe :twisted: may have the optional Green Pistachio Power Pipe extension. Or sour cream chopped down. This Red Green repair is 100% certified! All about balance and power. :idea:
Attachments
1280px-1957_Harley-Davidson_KR750.jpg
No Tape or Glue Here
1280px-1957_Harley-Davidson_KR750.jpg (285.29 KiB) Viewed 7705 times
EKHKHK56

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions