share the moment

All things K & Sportster

Re: share the moment

Postby hi-peral » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Most platers have a process called nickel stripping which will remove the nickel plating and thusly the chrome from aluminum. Chrome will not adhere to most metals without the use of nickel.
hi-peral

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:01 pm

And a bit of copper plate in there in the old days...
EKHKHK56

Postby xlh59 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:17 am

I have been continuing my build and I am amost finished, but unfortunatley, I could´t find an original rear fender by now. I did´t want to use the V-Twin repop, so still no fender. For the sake of driving around I mounted the old set of fender/gas tank ... unfortunately the later gas tank will also not match with the K-model buddy seat I have. So I installed (by now) the plunger solo seat again. front fender and 59 gas tank are prepped but not painted yet, waiting for the rear fender.
Its an XLH with XLCH mag and electric system. The engine runs great after the rebuild, no smoke, starts easy -- very pleased indeed.
Just wanted to share this:

https://youtu.be/Wk-xcPRHFnU

fixed magneto with 45°advance, Linkert DC and -61 interconnected pipes
Last edited by xlh59 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
xlh59

Postby roadbum » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:06 am

Just had a cam cover stripped of the chrome. I think I paid $25.00. Doesn't have any texture because of buffing to plate. Going to try light bead blast to see what happens.
roadbum

Postby JohnF » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Looks very nice, great job. Rear fender, try Gas Box, think it’s GasBox.com. They reproduce a lot of stuff for vintage scooters, pretty sure I saw fenders for K Models and Early Sportsters.
JohnF

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions