fake ebay stuff

Racing K Models

fake ebay stuff

Postby mikeslemmon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:43 pm

there is an XLR on ebay that has some obvious flaws(wheels, shocks, ect.) but also the heads appear to be fake. the extended part of the spark plug hole should be cast not smooth
mikeslemmon

Re: fake ebay stuff

Postby Maxcapacity » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:20 pm

I can't see the heads in enough detail to tell one way or the other, but there is enough of that bike that is wrong to tell me it's at least very unlikely it started life as an XLR. If it did, the restorer did a good job of making sure the unique original parts were replaced with shiny new and incorrect replacements. The billet mag is a nice touch.
Maxcapacity

Postby Jimmy o racer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:08 pm

Yes I have seen this motorcycle for sale several times in the last few years if you notice one bid was cancelled but getting to the facts has wrong fender struts gas tank also looks like pigle fuel valve can't get pictures in close enough to see #'s on cases hope someone gets more information before buying a fake the old saying it's so wrong it ain't right
Jimmy o racer

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:06 pm

I can't imagine anyone willing to part with that much money before havinh thr seller pull the primary cover and cam covers off.
That would determine if it was genuine or not. I don't believe it is myself as it appears to have the 9 hole coer to start with.
Don't the laws in the USA concerning fraud bother anyone over there ? Anyone ?
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby mikeslemmon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 pm

there's so much wrong but safe to say it,s a street bike without a front brake or lights. if this was a time trials bike it would have had a front brake. the frame is not XLR . the mag looks like a Morris horizontal for an xlch . would this not have been a low boy or high boy if it was real? is the buyer getting screwed?
mikeslemmon

Postby Mutt » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Ferrous_Head wrote:I can't imagine anyone willing to part with that much money before havinh thr seller pull the primary cover and cam covers off.
That would determine if it was genuine or not. I don't believe it is myself as it appears to have the 9 hole coer to start with.
Don't the laws in the USA concerning fraud bother anyone over there ? Anyone ?

Fraud laws in AmeriKa?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!! No one enforces them, unless you enforce them personally yourself.
Mutt

Postby hugoct » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Anyone contemplating the purchase of a Sportster XLRTT needs to do their home work. Some folks are lucky like Bill Sherman and bought one when they were new. (Mr. Sherman's bike is the Gold Standard) Others like Mr. Peyron stumble across the rare animal with a narrative that sets their bike apart. Most of the stories told and what is written about these bikes is inaccurate hyperbole like the story about the XLR having a bigger bore and shorter stroke than the other Sportsters, using crimp on oil line clamps, fitting a petcock where none existed. Period photography, Homologation Submissions, AMA Homologation Referee Bulletins, factory bulletins, factory parts books, factory service notes, factory order forms (options?), and factory invoices trump the "well somebody told me" or "it's on the internet" BS we constantly read. Some of the self proclaimed "authorities" on this thread came to this late in life, read Girdler's book, and now sit in judgement of everyone else's bikes. Many need to look at their own bikes and fix them first before passing judgement on others'.The buyer needs to be educated and aware.
hugoct

Postby riverdog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:47 pm

ha American credos, right after 'in God we trust" is 'caveat emptor...buyer beware..
riverdog

Postby Maxcapacity » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:08 pm

hugoct wrote:Most of the stories told and what is written about these bikes is inaccurate hyperbole...

I see what you did there... :lol:
Maxcapacity

Postby Ferrous_Head » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:34 am

The thing is, it's a nice bike. I'm pretty sure anyone of us here wouldn't mind owning it.

But most people are questioning the description of it as an XLR. And with the price he's asking for it, if it's not then that's nothing short of fraud. I honestly can't say the engine is or isn't XLR derived without more info. But if it's a re-stamped Ch and the owner knows that, that's a bad story. And the bike becomes worth less than what it would be if it was described accurately.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Next

Return to KR, KRM, KRTT, KHR, KHRM, KHRTT