Leaded 110 Octane

All things K & Sportster

Re: Leaded 110 Octane

Postby spacecoast » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:00 pm

2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen is nitrous oxide.
You trying to reinvent the wheel?
spacecoast

Postby jOe » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:03 pm

The idea was to introduce a stream of O2 to raise the oxygen content somewhat- not to replace the air. Sort of higher octane air.
The volume of incoming air would be same so in theory, the mixture ratio should remain the same?
jOe

Postby panic » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:32 pm

More oxygen, added by any method, leans the mixture and requires more fuel or bad things happen.
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Postby LDB » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:18 pm

If you could figure a way to control pure oxygen, it would work. The system would be extremely sensitive to control. So far it has not been practical. It has been tried many times.
LDB

Postby jOe » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Maybe a vacuum actuated valve mounted onto the intake manifold
jOe

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:17 pm

Panic, you are a carburetion expert than? You're talking to the #CarburetorMan. What's your ratio? This is all bs talk. Oxygen is for cutting torches. OR NOS with additional fuel or melt it down. K MODELS run great at 17 to 1 or more realistically 1% CO so screw off with the loose nuts.
EKHKHK56

Postby Ferrous_Head » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:28 am

KH ? ...... ????? WTF ?

Panic is correct.

Ratio's ? Theoretical is 14.7 to 1. But 13.5 works better in practice for our engines. (I'm a Sportster guy).

Panic is correct. If you introduce more oxygen the mixture will go lean all else being equal. That's presuming you had it correct in the first place.
Any particular fuel will have an optimum amount of oxygen required to combine with to make power. You can't just add more of one or the other to make more power.
You can use oxygenated fuels to make more power but you need to increase the jet sizes or it will run lean.

You can more of both with supercharging (turbocharging etc) or you can improve cylinder filling (better cams, port work etc) but the ratio will stay the same for pump gas. You really just can't get away from that.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions