Interesting view

All things K & Sportster

Interesting view

Postby spacecoast » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Thought you flat heads would enjoy this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdW1t8r8qYc
spacecoast

Re: Interesting view

Postby JerrryR » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Thanks Spacecoast that was really cool. Now when you guys that really understand motors talk about the head configuration and flame path it might finally make some sense to me.
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby panic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Of course, you're right.
Last edited by panic on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Postby LDB » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:11 am

"The mixture movement and flame front propagation shown in the video are completely different from any sidevalve engine built in the last 100 years. Nothing shown occurs in any H-D flathead engine and especially a K, which is one of the most highly developed flathead engines of all time."

What exactly do you mean? The flame starts at the point of ignition, i.e., the spark plug, and burns outward in a 360 degree direction from that point on any head old or new. Of course, depending on the location of the plug, the flame will have closer obstructions to run into as it burns and plays out but the greatest volume is always burning over toward the piston and down the cylinder as shown in the video. Any flathead with the same general shape would burn the mixture like in the video.
LDB

Postby Ferrous_Head » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:09 pm

I thought it was very cool but with one reservation. I was sure he said in the beginning that he would look at both rich and lean conditions. It would ne interesting to see any changes with those conditions.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Bubbalowe » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Difference between the Briggs and K is ability for K to naturally aspirate more fuel mix result of more efficient fuel intake and head relief. No reason flame path would look different between the 2 with flat top pistons and plug location over valves . Cool video to watch when burning alcohol and invisible flame. Thanks.
Bubbalowe

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions