Snap Back Throttle

All things K & Sportster

Snap Back Throttle

Postby gperlow » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:23 am

Does anyone have any suggestions on converting the stock wire throttle on a 53 K bike to a snap back throttle using the stock Linkert carb. Thanks,

Gordon
gperlow

Re: Snap Back Throttle

Postby 53modelkhd » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:08 am

depends on whether you want to the stock right side handlebar
53modelkhd

Postby hayleyl » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Hello Gordon. Just one question - why would you want to change the stock set up?
Point to consider. Butterfly carbs without accelerator pumps are great but respond poorly to quick action. Yes if your motor is 'race hot' and your linkert is tuned within an inch of they're borderline.
With the appropriate spring rate in the likert butterfly and the stock set up in really good working order, your carb should shut off. (eventually)
If you want snap back like a motocross bike, you'll need a slide type carb and external throttle cabling. Mikuni have set ups for flatheads. A lot of guys I know who race tank shifters use this set up. Cheers Hayley
hayleyl

Postby gperlow » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:22 pm

hayley's,

Thanks, that makes sense. I guess I'm just used to snap backs. The bikes almost ready to ride.
gperlow

Postby jOe » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:52 pm

Stick to the deadman’s throttle- you’ll be much happier.
Back in the years between the sixties and seventies, there was a ‘kit’ that converted Linkerts to a snap back throttle system. Essentially it was a bracket and a spring that reversed the throttle arm. It was the hot ticket with aftermarket handlebars.
jOe

Postby panic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:37 pm

A return spring is a strong contributor to one of the most annoying Linkert problems: vacuum leak at idle and irregular idle speed, caused by the spring constantly pulling the throttle shaft sideways in the bushing. At higher speed the leak is still there, but it's a much smaller percentage of the air passing through the venturi normally and almost undetectable.
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Postby Ferrous_Head » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:42 pm

In Australia (and most other countries) you cannot race a bike that does not have a spring to shut the throttle.

It's a safety issue. The last thing in the world you want to have happen when things go seriously pear shaped is for the throttle to be held wide open. Governing bodies base these rules on evidence. They aren't arbitrary.
Can you imagine car manufacturers building cars with a throttle system that didn't utilize and automatic throttle return ?

I think the Model T Ford had a similar non return throttle such as we put up with.

My lawnmower certainly operates that way.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby jOe » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:03 pm

But if you really want one check eBay item;
jOe

Postby xlh59 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:52 am

Just for reference:
linkert_dc-11_by_xlh59.jpg
linkert_dc-11_by_xlh59.jpg (239.08 KiB) Viewed 24685 times

my DC-11 carburator with snap back mechanism. The trick is, that now the outer cable attaches to the throttle lever and the inner wire is connected to the air cleaner back plate. Sorry, I do not have a picture showing this.
xlh59

Postby gperlow » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:06 am

Very cool, thanks.
gperlow

Next

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions