55 KHK Oil Sumping - Topic Revisit

Production K Models

55 KHK Oil Sumping - Topic Revisit

Postby Mayday53 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 pm

Sorry this is long and semi-methodical:

Sooo...About 3 weeks ago I got my 55 KHK running and went through 4-5 thermal cycles. I decided to rebuild the carb (again) since fuel flow was an issue, disassembled and inspected primary case components due to an unforeseen increase in fluid in primary, and recharged the battery. Well after 3 weeks, I tried to start it again today and progress through the break in. Unfortunately, she didn't want to start and it sounded different, almost sluggish (hard to describe).

TROUBLESHOOTING:
1. Fuel flowing to carb - Yes
2. Bowl float is moving and shutting off flow properly - Yes
3. Spark to plugs - Yes
4. Plugs look clean - NO, black oily soot led me to believe there was some kind of an oil supply issue
5. Check Oil reservoir - EMPTY
6. Check Primary side fluid - Appears normal through viewing port
7. Pull Engine Case Drain Plug - only approximately 1 quart oil (now my head is spinning)
NOTE: Oil had a bit of aluminum looking "angel dust" which I figure is normal for breaking in new engine (thoughts?)
8. Pull Transmission Case Drain Plug - Drains almost 3 quarts of oil/tranny fluid mixture

IDENTIFIED PROBLEM:
1. Oil is draining past pump
2. Oil is getting into primary
3. Other ideas?_____________________

SOLUTIONS FOR PROBLEM 1:
1. Install valve in oil supply line as I see a few folks offer as an idea on this site - dangerous due to non-standard and could ruin engine if I forget to reopen oil supply
2. Re-engineer/install seats on oil pump, etc. (I believe "Lisa" has mentioned this to me in the past, but I thought I would be ok with strict rebuild)
3. Other Ideas?______________________

SOLUTIONS FOR PROBLEM 2 (Based on recommendation by "Frenchcowl"):
1. Disassemble primary side components...AGAIN!
2A. Replace Check Valve between engine and primary (hard to remove as I recall; does it need special tools?)
2B. Replace main crank shaft seal in primary side
3 Other Ideas?____________________

I am a bit flustered after 5 years of working on this beautiful bike and open to experiences insights....

Thanks,

Mayday
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: 55 KHK Oil Sumping - Topic Revisit

Postby Lisa » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Yep you didn't listen to me = now you can remove your motor and do what I told you to do in the first place = use one of my modified pumps or send me yours and I can go through it for you and your oil problems are over. No more wet sumping at all over time your oil will stay in your tank where it belongs
proven to work i have sold a very lot of them and they have ben proven to work perfect. %100 E Bay Yes make shore your oil transfer valve is OK if you have one. Early models had it in the tube assembly and they weren't a big problem same valve used in the 45 's cam cover. Sorry and sad to say but all true. Let this be a lesson to others.
Lisa

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 am

Lisa wrote:Yep you didn't listen to me = now you can remove your motor and do what I told you to do in the first place....

Lisa (or is it Tom),if you noticed, I referenced your advice out of respect and humility for my decision. You must know though, at the time you gave the information to me I had already fully built the bike, as I told you on our phone call a few weeks ago...you should remember that if you listened to me as well sir. In the future, I would recommend you treat people with a bit more respect and not just tell them they have to buy your pump, you're the only one that does it, and all that bravado. This is a site for teamwork and camaraderie, let me know when you are ready to treat me with the respect I treat you and then we can have a conversation. I understand you are proud of your knowledge, which may have been hard earned, but being rude is not the way to gain my business or respect.

Reference the actual details, I simply was at a point in the build where I had to try it and then look for additional options, yours being one of them. But I also wanted experiences from others that also have a lot of knowledge or experience. I have been burned too many times by people who have the "perfect" answer.

I thank you in advance for a civil conversation in the future and then we can talk the business of pump replacement.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Ferrous_Head » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 am

Tom. (who pretends to be Lisa for whatever reason) is correct but I wouldn't do any business with him.

He is a NOT to be trusted. If you need more details PM me and I'll explain fully my experience with him.

he wet sump problem can be fixed with another oil seal inside the pump. I had two done recently and the costs was les than $60each.
Full details can be found on the other Sportster site. Let me know if you need a link.
The details include a drawing for the macing operations.

Putting a shit off valve in the supply side is NOT a good idea. Forget to turn it on ust once and disaster awaits.

It's a pain to do this when the engine is already in the bike but not much else works if your pump is worn and really needs that seal put in. HD's oil transfer valve was just a band aid - never meant to fix the problem just alleviate it some of the time.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Lisa » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 am

You are a bone head for what you said about me I certainly can be trusted and have sold a ton of pumps with no problems or pissed off buyers at all so keep your mouth shut with your foolishness and lies about me. Both you guy's are on your own for your comment's and lies about me I can prove what I say and I say it like it is. Look at my E Bay rating %100 just some of my proof.
Lisa

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 am

Lisa,

Read again what I said, I showed no disrespect, just constructive feedback. I had nothing to do with Ferroushead's comments and I don't have, nor wish for, the insight to judge his angst. I just think it would have been much better to simply hear "let's talk again and solve the issue" versus the "I told you so" tone you took. Like I said in my reply, I even mentioned you in my initial comment BECAUSE you told me about the problem, I ignored it, and I do now intend on going to your solution. If you don't/can't see my intent, it is not my problem to solve...I am trying to work with you with respect, not, as I called it, bravado.

Per your PM, I will be calling you later today.
"Mayday"

Mayday53

Postby Lisa » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:14 am

OK
Lisa

Postby Ferrous_Head » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm not about to get into a flame war with anyone on this site.

But Tom, you and I both know how you ripped me off. You have no integrity.

The vast majority of people on this site are trying to be helpful to one another. You are just using it to advertise your business.

For anyone wishing to effect the required wet sump fix faster and for much less money see this link.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2074153

And Dave, if your not happy with me posting this link here I can provide all the information directly on this site. Giving the link just saves e time and trouble And then ask Lisa what she did with the parts I had sent to her.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Lisa » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:54 pm

All the parts that were sent to me were bought from E Bay by a seller that sold you and sent me instead of you a busted up pump full of metal that you wanted me to modify for you and some other parts from the same motor full of metal parts. You sent me not one thing. The seller gave you all your money back and didn't even want the parts back. You told me that . Then you wanted me to send you all the junk parts that were sent to me from him. I sent you a message of how much it would cost to ship and the cost of my time running around for your foolishness and you didn't like it and if you remember we went round and round about it and the last conversation we had was you were going to send someone over to see me to get your junk parts. Now you have the nerve to run me down on this tread, you should be ashamed of yourself. What I have said here on this tread is in fact the truth. Dave sorry but I half to stick up for myself and if I am removed from this group my opinion it was wrong. I have ben wrong at times in the past and have admitted it and I consider myself a stand up guy that means no harm but to help out other guys with there problems best I can. Tom = Lisa
Lisa

Postby Lisa » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:08 pm

I am not happy this LOW LIFE Ferrous Head put on other sites and treads that I stole from him = he is the one that doesn't tell the truth and can't be trusted.
Last edited by Lisa on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK