O-ring/X-ring Chains on K/XL Models

All things K & Sportster

O-ring/X-ring Chains on K/XL Models

Postby wz507 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Regarding o-ring/x-ring chain, I’m quite certain (almost positive?) that I have seen comments here regarding whether these wider width chains will fit K/XL models through 1969. However, at this point in time I am unable to turn up any information here on this subject via searches I’ve tried.

Is anybody running such chains on the subject bikes and does the extra width pose fit issues? If so, where does “the rub” come in?

Thank you.
wz507

Re: O-ring/X-ring Chains on K/XL Models

Postby Lisa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:25 pm

49 Pan 51 Servi 53 54 55 K 67 69 84 Ironhead Had o ring chains on all of them with no problems at all . On the K and Ironhead you half to remove the case bolt at 1 o clock at the sproket and replace it with a 4 inch button head bolt. Also as a precaution I bent the cable lever out a tad to prevent the cable from hitting the chain on all but the 84. On one of them it clipped the kicker cover a tad so I removed a lil bit where it hit. That's it. No more mess and runs clean. All ran fine for years.
Lisa

Postby hayleyl » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Non 'o' ring chain there is no better than DID's ERV3 - 'o' ring style RK's OS series or Renthal R3. Just remember to keep 'o' ring or 'x' ring type chains in optimum working condition, they need just as much attention as a non 'o' ring chain but can handle grubbier conditions. I've never run 'o' ring chains on my road bikes, I've only ever run them on my motocross and enduro machines. Never had any issues with the above mentioned chains over many many years. Like anything, maintained properly you'll get good durability. Cheers Hayley
hayleyl

Postby RickD » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:30 am

I also run RK SO O-ring chains on XLs 62 and 67 for many years with no bike modifications. They are brilliant, hardly ever need adjusting and run smooth,not developing tight spots. And yes keep up the lube to them and all good.
Rick
RickD

Postby rufus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:26 pm

The first thing you need to address is what chain size you need to run. This will depend on the thickness of your sprockets. The 3 choices you have / have the same pitch and roller size = 5/8" and .400". The chain sizes are "520, 525" and "530". The roller widths will be 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" respectfully, and the sprocket width will be 0.227", 0.284" and 0.343" respectfully. It can be disastrous to put a wider chain on a narrower sprocket as well as using industrial type chains without regard. I can attest to what a chain failure causes at hiway speed in traffic. regards, rufous
rufus

Postby wz507 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Standard 530 sprockets on my bike. Too late now (new sprockets front and back), but in hindsight, if I did it again I'd narrow the sprockets and use 520 chain that would fit easily with no mods and is more than enough chain to handle a mighty 40 HP K Model.

https://rkexcelamerica.com/products/rk-chains/
wz507

Postby rufus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Check the RK link below. The main differences in the width of the chains are the length of the pin, and thickness of the side plates. Using your stock chain, you should be able to determine what you can get by with. I also have the .343" thick sprockets and the length of the pins on a d.i.d. chain vary either side of 20.20mm and outside of plates are average 18.20 = 18.30mm. My vernier reads both inch and mm. No damage from rubbing anywhere. D.I.D. seem narrower regards rufous

http://www.vleonline.com/Counter%20PDF/ ... 39_WEB.pdf

https://didchain.com/wp-content/uploads ... -FINAL.pdf
rufus

Postby wz507 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Just to be clear, the pin lengths quoted for your chain (20.2 mm) must be for a plain chain, not an o-ring chain? I ask because when I look at specs for DID 530 o-ring/x-ring chains they report pin lengths in the range of 23.3-24.5 mm, which are similar to the narrower o-ring/x-ring 530 offering by RK, and only the standard non- o-ring DID 530 chain is listed at 20.2 mm.

https://didchain.com/wp-content/uploads ... -Sheet.pdf
wz507

Postby rufus » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:30 pm

Yes, I believe it to be standard size chain, and is 45 years old. I too am researching a replacement. I have the sprocket cover off so I can look for interference problems. The did 530 vx was narrowest @ .917 in width. With your stock chain in place you should be able to gauge the half width to contact the bolt @ 1 o'clock, and any other area. I had a chain break in 74' and know the terror/pain that followed. I want the best chain that I can put in there, and replace it when the tires wear out, regardless of hidden mods . regards rufous
rufus

Postby rufus » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:34 pm

O-K, so I ordered the RK530XSOZ1 102 chain and it came in today. There is absolutely no interference anywhere. Size as advertised, Plus .100" clearance everywhere. With proper adjustment should be fine. Will monitor and post any problems
This is with a 21t front sprocket,...regards...rufous...
rufus

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions