Early K Model Jiffy Stand

Production K Models

Early K Model Jiffy Stand

Postby starcain » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Could someone please enlighten me in what the difference is between the 50090-52 pin and the 50090-53 pin. I have a couple of early stands that have the threaded set screw hole for the pin. I also have just an early head that has no set screw hole but the pin hole is peened over to apparently hold the pin in. Jerry R had posted a picture of an early jiffy stand in a post a couple years ago that looks like it has no set screw hole and has also been peened over. Were the earliest K Model jiffy stands this way?

My goal is to figure out what brought on the change in part number of the jiffy stand itself from 50062-52 to 500-52A. The PN change first shows up in the 1954 Parts Book at the same time the pin part number changed. I have to believe they are related

Thanks for any help anyone can give on this subject.

The picture of someone holding the early stand is the picture Jerry R posted so Jerry if you are reading this do you have any insight?

Stan
Attachments
Early K Jiffy Stands (Copy).jpg
Early K Jiffy Stands (Copy).jpg (181.72 KiB) Viewed 13328 times
Early K Stand.jpg
Early K Stand.jpg (211.06 KiB) Viewed 13328 times
starcain

Re: Early K Model Jiffy Stand

Postby JerrryR » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi Stan
That is Roger holding his stand.
Jerryr
JerrryR

Postby starcain » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:54 pm

I'm still trying to figure out the early K side stand head I have that doesn't have a set screw hole to retain the side stand pin.( picture above ) It turns out the side stand that Roger is holding did in fact have a set screw hole so that didn't offer me any confirmation that there are early side stands that didn't use a set screw. I thought at first that maybe this head just slipped by the drill and tapping process and someone peened the hole over to hold the pin. The more I looked at it the more I started thinking that the peening was done with a machine of some sort. Down around the 4:00 o'clock position of the hole ( picture above again ) you can see where there is no peen marks. In that area the peen marks are on the inside of the bore like the bit that was peening it slipped into the hole and scored the side. Also the way the peen marks trail away to the right. To me it doesn't seem likely that an individual would have done that. With that said I wondered if it could be possible that the early stands did in fact not use a set screw. There has to be a reason why the pin changed from a 52 PN to a 53 PN and the side stand went from a 52 PN to a 52A PN at the same time (1954 PB ) Pictures show that a side stand on a '52 looks just like a side stand on a '54. What is the difference then?

Erik, if you happen to be reading this is there any chance you could check the side stand on your '52 OP K to see if it has a set screw?

There are enough pictures around that show the early style cut down side stand that were used on 1952 to 1954 models. 1955 is a little iffy with no really good pictures to go by. Does anyone out there have an original 1955 KH or KHK that could confirm what style side stand you have. I know in 1956 they changed over to the next generation beefier one. The picture below shows the early one ( '52 to '55? ) on the left and the 1956 to ? on the right.

Any comments or facts would be greatly appreciated.

Stan
Attachments
Side Stands.JPG
Side Stands.JPG (167.08 KiB) Viewed 13093 times
starcain

Postby thefrenchowl » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:21 pm

The screw 1760 that holds the pin in place only appears in the 56 parts book, that should be enough of a clue that it wasn't used before...

So either the pin was a press fit before and then you couldn't service the weak early stand without having the engine off the frame...

Or either the pin was loose but had a small shoulder on top to prevent it falling on the road and then you couldn't service the weak early stand without having the engine off the frame...

So one can imagine all these early stands were binned as being useless and replaced with the addition of the stronger stand and its removable screw that now allows you to inspect the indestructible nature of the new stand...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby starcain » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:31 pm

The lack of the 1760 screw until the 1956 parts book was considered however there are plenty of known omissions in the parts books. Could have very well been an oversight. I would find it difficult to believe that all the side stands up until 1956 didn't have the set crew. I have had a fair amount of the early style stands pass through my hands through the years and they all have had a set screw hole. The parts books indicate that the #52 pin was used on the 1952s and 1953s and the side stand was a 52 PN until 1954 when it changed to the 52A. If 1952s and 1953s all had a side stand without a set screw you would think there would be a lot more around other then the lone head I have as an example. Also as you can see in my picture there are certainly early style stands that had the set screw.

Erik, I am hoping you get a chance to check your Original Paint 1952 K for the set screw and thanks in advance.

Patrick, thanks for your input

Stan
starcain

Postby Mark.A » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:57 pm

I have only had my 52 k since 1968 so I can’ Say if the side stand is original but the one on it has threads on the top side of the pin hole to hold the pin in place. There is a casting # F3721 looking at the 52 parts book does not show a screw but the 56 parts book shows 1760 going back to 52. Although the more I look at this side stand i am thinking it is A M
Mark.A

Postby starcain » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:57 pm

Mark, does the side stand you have have a head that looks like the one on the left in my picture above. If it looks like that one you may have answered the million dollar question. Threads in the top ear of the stand and a threaded pin could make a lot of sense. Now that I think about it I had one that was like that many years ago but I thought a privateer did it. I can't remember now anymore if it had the set screw hole. I don't have it anymore to look at. I seem to remember that the pin had a thin hex head on the bottom end to turn it.

Stan
starcain

Postby Mark.A » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:24 pm

Hey Stan this side stand isn’t like the ones above.it seems to be all one casting and even where the spring connects to the side of the stand looks to be cast in and not welded on
Mark.A

Postby hennesse » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:15 am

Mark - how about a photo !!!
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby starcain » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:33 am

Mark, Thanks for checking the side stand out.

Stan
starcain

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK