KH tappet and guide question

Production K Models

KH tappet and guide question

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Hello,
I am sorting through a '55 KH basket case, in which a lot of the parts are turning out to be early Sportster. Comparing the tappets and guides with a lot of websites, appears that the tappet guides are correct for the KH (though two are damaged and will need replacement). With the tappets, I am guessing that three of them are KH and one is a KK,KHK,KR. This one also had a shorter adjustment screw. The tappets are all in pretty good shape and all are the same length. I am guessing that I can use them all if I get a longer screw for the odd-ball lifter.
If I am missing something I would appreciate anyone correcting me.

p.s. If this virus curse has a (very, very) thin silver lining it is that it gives time to devote to sorting out all the boxes and milk crates of parts.
Attachments
guides.JPG
guides.JPG (40.93 KiB) Viewed 8807 times
tappets.JPG
tappets.JPG (35.81 KiB) Viewed 8807 times
Kurt

Re: KH tappet and guide question

Postby starcain » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:55 pm

A description of tappets and adjusting screws can be found here.

http://www.harleykmodel.com/technical/v ... index.html
starcain

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Thank you Starcain, though it does not directly state that the KK,KHK,KR lifter can be used in the KH with addition of a longer adjustment screw, what they did show in close enough for me. I will go ahead and use all four of the tappets and get one longer bolt. I do not think the 2 grams variation of the tappets will make a difference at the relatively low RPM range of the KH's.
Do you happen to know if the 45 guide is useable in the KH? I am putting a couple of guides and an adjustment screw on my swap meet list.
Thanks again.
Kurt

Postby thefrenchowl » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:01 pm

W and K tappet guides haven't got the same size thread. From memory, W is bigger diameter than K.

The W also need trimming a touch on the back to fit on the K case since the K tappet blocks are nearer the cylinders than on the W...

Make a mix of top K bottom W for the bottom covers, that's what I've done on my KHK, soldered together, in the 80s there was no way in GB to find K tappet blocks...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby starcain » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Yes you can use KK,KHK or KR tappets in your KH. They are just lighter in weight. As Patrick says the 45 guides are different then K guides.
starcain

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks guys for the info! To bad I did not know about the K upper/45 lower lifter cover trick to use the 45 tappet guides a couple of weeks ago. I sold a truckload of 45 stuff and there was a shoebox of WL tappet guides and covers. Guess it is smarter to be a hoarder!
Kurt

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK