Early K Model Safety Guard

Production K Models

Early K Model Safety Guard

Postby starcain » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 pm

I was looking over the 1952 K Model museum bike the other day when I noticed something on the safety guard I hadn't noticed before. The top strap bracket is about twice as tall as other early safety guards I've seen. Looked for other pictures that showed this feature and only found one. The Harley Davidson Service school picture of the 1952 K Model. I know there are a few very early pieces or prototype parts on the museum bike i.e. rear fender with no bead around the bottom, exhaust support tube and muffler clamp, sprocket cover, welded on rear fender strut mounts, frame with threaded seat post down tubes so no seat post retaining plate and now the safety guard. There may be more that no one has noticed yet. The museum bike may not have been a production bike but the service school bike I assume probably was. That means there may be a few of these super early safety guards out there somewhere. The big question is, has anyone ever seen a real life one or possibly have one? The pictures are of the museum bike and the service school bike. The third is a comparison picture of the safety guards on the museum bike and my '53 KK which has a '52 to '55 safety guard that most would be familiar with. The taller strap bracket would have made the guard itself shorter so when they went to the common early guard they would have had to redo the whole thing.

Stan
Attachments
Safety Guard (a).jpg
Safety Guard (a).jpg (361.66 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
Harley Service School- Safety Guard.jpg
Harley Service School- Safety Guard.jpg (258.07 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
Saftey Guard Compare.jpg
Saftey Guard Compare.jpg (110.66 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
starcain

Re: Early K Model Safety Guard

Postby starcain » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:45 pm

Just a quick side note about posting. A few weeks ago I had a lot of trouble with getting kicked off and being sent back to the log in page. I ended up clicking on the keep me logged in box. It may not be those exact words but you know what I mean. I just want to say that my post above posted perfectly. It took me awhile to post it as I kept getting interrupted. The only difference between the above post and the one a couple of weeks ago is that I have had that box checked and stay logged in all the time. I don't know if that's what made the difference. No problem with attaching pictures or preview or the bot question. I am using edge as my browser but was also using it a few weeks ago. Maybe the problem simply got fixed. Either way todays post was all good.

Stan
starcain

Postby Ferrous_Head » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:08 pm

I tick the "keep me logged on" box every time I log in.
A lot of the time that feature doesn't work either and I have to log in again anyway.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby roadbum » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Notice that the strap is facing up where the three I have face down. Also I had a couple that the bottom mount was shaped more like the bottom motor mount as opposed to the single bolt hole.
roadbum

Postby starcain » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:14 am

roadbum, the link will take you to the technical page for safety guards. It will tell you what shape safety guards were used for what years.

http://www.harleykmodel.com/technical/s ... index.html

Stan
starcain

Postby JerrryR » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:00 am

There is an early version of the 57 crash bar. Scott pointed it out to me years ago. I believe it was a running change in 57 but eactly when I don't know. The early bar lacks the inner reinforceing pipe on its' flattened ends.

Crash Bars Ealry 57 and Late 004, S.jpg
Crash Bars Ealry 57 and Late 004, S.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 8297 times

Crash Bars Ealry 57 and Late 005, S.jpg
Crash Bars Ealry 57 and Late 005, S.jpg (32.69 KiB) Viewed 8297 times
JerrryR

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK