Throttle cable

All things K & Sportster

Throttle cable

Postby gperlow » Sun May 10, 2020 6:25 pm

God afternoon. My throttle cable either came lose or broke some where inside the handlebar. Can someone give some advice on reattaching or replacing without pulling off the handlebars. Thanks

Gordon
gperlow

Re: Throttle cable

Postby ptk46 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:40 pm

I'm assuming that you have an original HD internal push-pull stock throttle cable arrangement.
If so, original HD early throttle cable assemblies are about as bullet proof as you can get.
I've never seen one fail.
Some aftermarket cables are junk, but that's another story.
What are the symptoms leading to the assumption that it's broken?
Before you take anything apart look at the back of your handlebar and make sure that the tiny set screw didn't come loose or vibrate out.
It is very small, so look closely.
Its located toward the end of the HB just beyond the grip collar.
You might have to remove the mirror or anything else on the HB that might be covering the set screw.
The set screw locks the external cable in place, allowing only the internal "piano wire" cable to push and pull, or open and close the throttle.
If it comes loose the throttle will not work.
If the set screw is still there and didn't come loose let me know and ill walk you through the process with pictures.
It's not a difficult process if you have some basic mechanical ability.
I've changed on without removing the HB within 15 minutes.
That was due to the junk aftermarket cable i mentioned.
ptk46

Postby Lisa » Sun May 10, 2020 8:20 pm

Be very care full with replacement cables check id dimensions and wire thickness to OEM cable's I ran into this problem with aftermarket replacement's id was to large for wire thickness = acted like a car with a bad accelerator pump hesitate on throttle up.
Lisa

Postby gperlow » Mon May 11, 2020 1:23 pm

Good morning. I was out yesterday afternoon helping my wife's 92 y/o dad, so I didn't get back to you. I loosened the screw and removed the throttle grip. The set screw is all in, however, the piano wire is not. It is still attached to the carb, inside the sleeve. Do I need a new wire and if so, any help re-threading it would be appriciated. Thanks,

Gordon
gperlow

Postby gperlow » Tue May 12, 2020 1:06 pm

PTK46, Good morning,

I can't see the wire in the handle bar, the set screw is there. It is still attached to the carb. I ordered an original wire to replace it. If you have those pictures, I would love to see them. My regular email is: [email protected]
Thanks,

Gordon
gperlow

Postby jOe » Tue May 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Did the control wire get loose from the plunger? It’s not that big of a problem. Undo the cable from the carb, get it straight with as few bends as possible and see if you can push the control wire towards the grip and reattach. Or put the new control wire in. I’ve never seen one actually brake,but they can come loose.
jOe

Postby gperlow » Mon May 18, 2020 2:46 pm

I want to thank everyone who helped me with the throttle wire. I ws able to push the wire from the carb back to the handlebar grip. All hooked up and back together. Thanks again,

Gordon
gperlow

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions