Feelers for selling my 54KH

For Sale and Wanted Ads
Note - Ads expire after 60 days

Re: Feelers for selling my 54KH

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:06 pm

I do have two factory correct, totally unmolested bikes.

It has less than 5,000 miles on it. I am the second owner.

It no longer has the original factory oil in it. It does still have the original factory air in the tires though I had to add a little "modern" air.

It's a 1974 XLH1000. Will any of that REALLY matter to a prospective buyer if and when I sell it ?

An interesting talking point. But the bike will sell itself, for what it is.

I paid about twice as much as I would have for a typical 35,000 mile bike. With lots of aftermarket parts and a back yard paint job. But then I really wanted that bike, a sister bike to one I owned over 45 years ago. I put a bid in I knew no one else in the world would match. If you really want something you will pay for it.

To buy ANY K Model, you really have to want it.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby hd54kh » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi all, thanks for all the angles. The bike is complete and somewhat correct. I had used it quite a bit the first few years. I had a clutch issue and that is and the tired paint and overall condition. I just thought it was a sweetspot in styling of the era. Hints of a early HD but a more modern unitized engine/tranny, telescopic forks with rubber gators.
I put probably a few thousand miles on it. Always a good running and riding bike never any issues. I had just got a 79 Lowrider finished up and that was my new ride. So the KH went into surgery.

As mentioned if it goes to sale it will be the market, timing, and desire that will be the determining factor, pricing is always a negotiation and the deal must always have both parties walk away feeling good about it. Transparency such as vetting it here helps me weather I have a dreamt number or a real number. I just really do not have the space for it but I hung on to it till last. I just sold one vehicle I owned for over 35 years and last week one I had for 16. The house I sold in February I owned for 40 years.

So the KH is my last standout. Just bad timing when I tore into it my eyes failed and here I am 23 years later preparing it ready to move on.

I took over 200 pictures of the parts today and have a couple more to go and will post a link to see them. Opening all these boxes and seeing all these "fresh" parts makes me think. But I can't play Tetris in my shop much longer. I spend more time jogging stuff back and forth than work I get done.

Terry
hd54kh

Postby hd54kh » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi all, I finally loaded my Photobucket account. I has a couple of hundred pictures showing all of what I should move. Some are KH specific and some are from 40 years ago not much but some. I took some over all pictures and than focused on the parts for better view. I forgot the crash bar but it is there and rechromed and the swing arm I will add on later. The wheels are in a tough spot but I think there are 10. Some are from my seventies Sportsters I know the aluminum one is bent others are from my 52 Panhead. Four to six are K. one is still wearing its Goodyear from the fifties and two are NOS Goodyears from the fifties as well. Some of the literature have duplicates such as the Golden anniversary dealers brochure and some of the magazine featuring KHs.

I found four headlights, one I got for parts, one was my original that was re-chromed (parts are for that one) One repop and one NOS.

That is it. I am not separately selling anything right now as the mission is to gain floor/shelf space and time.

Any advise for a fair market price would be greatly appreciated as we have already vetted the power plant and documented all the puzzle pieces. The only thing left is to make a text list of all the parts, I have a hand copy and just need to type it out.

Terry
hd54kh

Postby starcain » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Terry, Was there suppose to be a link to your pictures in your last post?
starcain

Postby hd54kh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:51 am

hd54kh

Postby hd54kh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:55 am

I tried for two days to post but this past reply was the first that kept me logged in to reply.

Just kicks me back to log in and it disappears. Copy and pasted my original reply too many times and waited until today.

Still need to add the frame with engine pictures.

Terry
hd54kh

Postby strong56KH » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:29 am

Yeah, it's survival of the most persistent on here now.
strong56KH

Postby hd54kh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:15 pm

Ok I added some more pictures, I also think I have another missing box, just thinking of the chromed Pan horseshoe oil tank and maybe a third seat T

We'll see.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/hd54kh/a/ ... 6d1f0328e8

Terry
hd54kh

Postby hd54kh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Also is this site having some issue. I log in and check stay logged in, I answer the question and it either tells me I have it wrong and maybe 3-4 attempts it goes, or the log in screen shows up again and than the reply screen comes back up and is blank. I copy and past my messages and round and round it goes until sometimes unexpectedly it works.

I have a habit of copying my messages as a long reply will log me off if I don't check the stay logged in box. So just seems to be a revolving issue. Is it me or the site? I have a lot of patients but just want to know.

Terry
hd54kh

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:28 pm

It's the site. Not you.

I sometimes just give up and don't post.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Previous

Return to Parts Exchange