XL Wet Clutch Kit 37984-57

Classic short-frame models

Re: XL Wet Clutch Kit 37984-57

Postby 55panman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:36 pm

Ferroushead....Is that a S&S B Fuel carb you're running?
55panman

Postby Ferrous_Head » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm

It certainly is.

I am limited by the rules of Historic Racing as to what carb I can use. Technically, the Super B wasn't made until after 1962 so would not have been eligible. But I pointed out to the rules committee the crab was basically the same butterfly type carb that was on their grand dad's 1932 Ford.

I like these carbs a lot

The carbs are simple and robust. People have used them for many years to improve on the Linkerts, Tillotsons. Bendix, kehein etc carbs HD came with for years.

They are quite easily converted to alcohol use and provide adequate air flow up to 90+ cubic inches. Jets and parts are commonly and cheaply available.

They don't have an accelerator pump but that would have made them illegal for me anyway.

And with a very simple modification they can be made to provide an almost dead flat A?F graph.

What more could anyone possibly want ?

I think round slide carbs are OK for Lawn Mowers.
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Lisa » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:56 pm

After all is said and done and adjustments are made pull in the clutch lever while holding it in turn to see if there is a slight wobble ? if so remove it by turning in a half turn on nut or nut's where wobble is to make it true = from experience this is what i do to make my clutch smooth with NO drag when pulled in so neutral is easy to find and no crash when putting it into gear. Care full not to over tighten spring tension.
Lisa

Postby Otis » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:38 pm

I installed a factory wet clutch in a 66 xlch and it works ok. I had to back off the springs a little more than called for to keep it from dragging. I would think heavier springs would work against you. Also, I don’t quite get the the pushrod travel that’s called for in the instructions so if I did spring tension probably wouldn’t be as critical.
Prior to the factory wet clutch I put in a wet clutch kit from V Twin. Don’t waste your money.
Otis

Postby Ferrous_Head » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:02 pm

The problem was simply that "some" clutches leaked oil. Through the rivets or the seal.

A "wet" clutch kit is saying "I give up" I cannot fix this problem.

Yet, so many of our bikes are running quite happily with a dry clutch. As I mentioned before. I have the second best clutch and gearbox setup in Historic racing (for my class).

The clutch in my 74 is not as good as the one's in my 900's. Finicky adjustment, harder to pull. It was NOT a step forward.

There is a reason why people (MrMom ?) have developed hydraulic conversions for the later clutches.

Go and try the clutch pull on any late model Jap bike. Girls can (and do) use them with ease - that's progress).

Attempt no. 6 to post. :( Is the frame NOT painted "black" ?
"I know only too well the evil that I propose, but my inclinations get the better of me."
Ferrous_Head

Postby Otis » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:26 pm

I’m running one xlch with a flawless dry clutch but the other one always seemed to weep oil. I sealed the rivets, replaced the seal and o-ring but still got oil. I gave up.
Otis

Postby Lisa » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:08 pm

When they wet sump the primary fills with oil and floods the basket and it seeps in some where ? With a proper filled and maintained amount of oil in the primary it will help because there will be the right amount of oil near the basket and it will tend to stay dry if sealed properly when running as well as stored for the winter. Again a wobble in the spring cover will tend to create a drag in the clutch basket like i said earlier about the adjustment and how to correct this. It's like a rotor on a car that is warped you get a vibration same thing happens with a clutch like old days with standard tranny's with a dragging clutch. Chatter vibration isn't any good in these areas. They half to run true in these areas to perform properly.
Lisa

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969