Air Cleaner Element

Classic short-frame models

Re: Air Cleaner Element

Postby murph » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:51 am

hennesse wrote:
murph wrote:Interesting, I run them in all the sportsters I've ever done and had no issues. I'll take it out and see if there is a major difference next time out and report back.

Well, I've been known to be wrong before. Perhaps more often than I care to admit!

All I know is that I took out the copper mesh and put in a brand-new CA77. The bike ran fine at idle, but terrible at speed. I followed the basic scientific method, which is: undo the last thing you did. I put the copper mesh back in, and it ran fine. End of experiment.

Well, perhaps I got a bad filter. Or installed it inside out. Perhaps the high-speed needle needed to be leaned out. I didn't try anything.

Murph - we're waiting with baited breath for the results of your experiments. Maybe that Hennessey guy is just full of stuff, and has misled the tribe - and all those guys who have followed his advice and have been oiling their copper mesh packs will roast him for dinner when they find out they coulda just used a $5 throwaway paper filter.

Well it's all about education, and all I know is what I've done right or wrong so I'm not the go to guy either. Now that you brought up the copper mesh I wondering how you get a proper fit with the dc linkert backing plate. They do not fit correctly unless you modify the metal ring the mesh wraps around and I don't believe they were ever intended for the dc. They flop around in there and have a loose fit because the metal ring is not wide enough to sit correctly on the backing plate of the dc. After you put the cover on put your finger in the hole under the cover and see if you can move the mesh filter up and down.
murph

Postby dlxl66elxl » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:36 pm

When I judge bike I use a mirror to check things like the filter element, belly numbers and other difficult to access items. If you have the owners permission you may touch the bike.
dlxl66elxl

Postby jOe » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:47 pm

So is the consensus the Fram CA77 is the closest appearing filter to the factory installed unit?
jOe

Postby murph » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:18 am

IMO, a judge would have a tuff time arguing the CA77 without proof the OEM is available.
murph

Previous

Return to 1957 to 1969