looking for 52010-54 solo seat

Classic short-frame models

looking for 52010-54 solo seat

Postby John Ferguson » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:35 am

I am looking for a good used part number 52010-54 solo seat for my 1959 XLCH restoration project. I have all the harware to mount the seat. I do understand there are some good aftermarket USA made seats. Any help appreciated.
John Ferguson

Re: looking for 52010-54 solo seat

Postby murph » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:47 am

There are a couple on ebay at the moment, problem is I've had several OEM seats in the past and the foam in almost all of them is shot and crumbling and you'll pay dearly for a really nice one. If you find someone to restore it the only thing they use is the seat pan. On a resto project it will stick out like a sore thumb. I have found them and they look much better on original paint bikes. JMO the after market solo's aren't terrible.
murph

Postby hennesse » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:58 pm

murph wrote:There are a couple on ebay at the moment, problem is I've had several OEM seats in the past and the foam in almost all of them is shot and crumbling and you'll pay dearly for a really nice one. If you find someone to restore it the only thing they use is the seat pan. On a resto project it will stick out like a sore thumb. I have found them and they look much better on original paint bikes. JMO the after market solo's aren't terrible.

A quick look at eBay right now shows some, but they're asking for stupid money, considering the condition. Maybe they're hoping that people will splurge on Christmas presents for themselves. In the past, I've paid $200 or $250 for a tee, and $200 or $250 for a seat. Then $200 or $250 to have it recovered.

I had Michael Paquette do one, and Heather's Leathers do the other. Michael seems to have retired from the business. Heather's does a good job, but you want to specify black thread. The thread fades to white over time, but it was black originally. You also want to specify that the nose be correctly rounded. The nose on my Hummer seat (same as the K/XL seat, but different mounting) is kinda squared (and white thread!), but I bought that 20+ years ago, and I'm not sure who did them back then. But my K and 62 XLCH seats are nicely rounded.

There used to be a place called something like "The Saddle Shop" in Florida that did high-end seat work. Maybe I have the name wrong. Anybody know if they are still around?
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby hennesse » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:33 am

hennesse wrote:A quick look at eBay right now shows some, but they're asking for stupid money, considering the condition. Maybe they're hoping that people will splurge on Christmas presents for themselves. In the past, I've paid $200 or $250 for a tee, and $200 or $250 for a seat. Then $200 or $250 to have it recovered.

There is a seat listed on eBay right now - for $1,389.99 - but it is a Harley Hummer seat. You can tell by the long front bracket which attaches to the Hummer frame by a horizontal bolt. The K/Sportster seat attaches to the seat tee via a vertical bolt.

AMAZING!
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby starcain » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:51 pm

hennesse wrote:I had Michael Paquette do one, and Heather's Leathers do the other. Michael seems to have retired from the business. Heather's does a good job, but you want to specify black thread. The thread fades to white over time, but it was black originally. You also want to specify that the nose be correctly rounded. The nose on my Hummer seat (same as the K/XL seat, but different mounting) is kinda squared (and white thread!), but I bought that 20+ years ago, and I'm not sure who did them back then. But my K and 62 XLCH seats are nicely rounded.
?

Dave, I am a little perplexed by your seat thread comments. What I have found is that the thread is neither black or white. It's actually a braided thread that is more of a burlap color. In some pictures it does look pretty white but I think it is because of a flash. Attached are pictures of both a closed seam seat on the 1954 KH museum bike 1954 to 1956 and a picture of an open seam seat on the 1957 XL Sportster museum bike. The close up is of a original closed seam seat I have that is in near perfect condition. It clearly shows the original color with the twisted thread. I tried to give some thought to black thread fading to white but my head started to hurt so I quit. Anyway, that's what I believe to be correct.

Stan
Attachments
1954 KH Museum Bike.jpg
1954 KH Museum Bike.jpg (67.77 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
1957 XL Sportster Museum Bike.jpg
1957 XL Sportster Museum Bike.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
Seat Thread Close Up.jpg
Seat Thread Close Up.jpg (124.28 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
starcain

Postby hennesse » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:44 pm

starcain wrote:What I have found is that the thread is neither black or white. It's actually a braided thread that is more of a burlap color.

Looks like I'm dead wrong on this one.

15 or 20 years ago, someone did a large run of reproduction Hummer seats - repro both pans and covering. They used a braided thread on them, but it was bright white, and it really stands out. Also the incorrect nose. Most of the restored Hummers out there have these ugly seats, including mine. 20 years later, the bright white thread still stands out, like a trout in the milk.

The original seats (K, XL, Hummer, they are almost the same) I've seen have been in poor condition, and had an indeterminate thread color - maybe black with 50 years of sunlight, or maybe white with 50 years of oily pants. To combat the bright white thread that the recover-ers of the period were using, I advised specifying black thread. The ones I've had done look pretty good - at least they don't SCREAM wrong!

Stan, thanks to your observations, we now learn that Braided Burlap-colored Thread is correct. The Scientific Principle is alive and well. We take our observations and form a theory. If subsequent observations match, the theory stands. If subsequent observations contradict, then it's time for a new theory. And that's what's happened here.

Today, I reached out to Michael Paquette (Worsham Castle) and The SaddleShop via email to survey what's available in the industry. I'll contact Wayne Hagler (Heather's Leathers) tomorrow. Can you suggest any other firms we should contact? Heilman's is long gone, who else is there today?

starcain wrote:I tried to give some thought to black thread fading to white but my head started to hurt

Gosh, I'm sorry! Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby starcain » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:51 am

starcain wrote:I tried to give some thought to black thread fading to white but my head started to hurt

Gosh, I'm sorry! Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.[/quote]

Dave, I sincerely apologize for the head hurt comment. I didn't mean anything by it and it wasn't personal. It was meant as a joke and apparently not a good one. MY BAD, Sorry

The pictures are of the very good condition closed seam seat I have. This is where the super close up picture came from above. In the closeup you can clearly see the color and twist of the thread. When you look at the seat from a distance the thread simply looks dirty white to me. I bought this seat to go with my OP 1956 KHK. What I have realized is that it is way too nice to match the condition of the bike. I'm thinking about trading it for a decent closed seam used seat that has the correct age and patina to match the bike better. The foam in this seat is in very good condition although personally I still wouldn't sit on it. This would make a great seat for an accurate restoration for someone doing a 1954 to 1956. The main stipulation for the seat I am looking for is that no foam falls out when getting moved around or by just sitting on the bike. It would be for display only never being intended to be sat on. I have a nice Corbin-Gentry seat I use to sit on. If anyone has any
interest in this seat and has one to trade + some dollars shoot me some pictures of what you got. I will be at Wauseon this year and will bring the seat with me.

Stan
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (236.96 KiB) Viewed 6360 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (287.92 KiB) Viewed 6360 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (245.91 KiB) Viewed 6360 times
starcain

Postby starcain » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:52 am

I forgot to add a picture of the bottom side
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (198.78 KiB) Viewed 6358 times
starcain

Postby Yard Dog » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:08 pm

I concur with Stan on the color and weave of the seat thread . I have a rolled seam solo with identical color and a later cut edge with slightly lighter color . Over the past twenty years or so , I have run and ruined several OEM "Royalite?"seats on my 57 rider . Had I known today's value I would have run an aftermarket ! My favorite was a "square nosed" . I suspect the variance was due to who stitched the cover that day.

Jack
Yard Dog

Return to 1957 to 1969