Mikuni Carb Stuck Choke

Good places to get work done

Mikuni Carb Stuck Choke

Postby JerrryR » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Hi All,
Please forgive me for posting something non bike but I need help and you guys seemed like the folks to ask. My Polaris snowmobile Mikuni carbs have stuck chokes on both carbs and I'm at a loss to free them up other than by getting out the bigger hammer. I'm not terrible familiar with these Mikunis but from what I can tell the little "barrel " at the end of the cable and spring should just pull up and out, it won't. I've been soaking it with PB Blaster all day to no avail. Any ideas?
Thanks,
JerryR

Mikuni Carb 1.1.jpg
Mikuni Carb 1.1.jpg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 24468 times

Mikuni Carb 2.1.jpg
Mikuni Carb 2.1.jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 24468 times
JerrryR

Re: Mikuni Carb Stuck Choke

Postby hayleyl » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:11 pm

Hello Jerry, try directing some heat onto housing around choke plunger. Use a heat gun or similar (no flame). These plunger type chokes are are beggars for gawling the cylinder and slide. A generous dose of Kroil might help. Also the knob end of the cable can foul the whole show. If all else fails, beer is your friend - then repeat. Cheers Hayley.
hayleyl

Re: Mikuni Carb Stuck Choke

Postby JerrryR » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Thanks hayleyl,
The beer worked well. After I sobered up I again tried to free up the two Mikuni "Chokes" enrichers. What did the job was putting ammonia in the choke "well" and boiling it out with the heat gun. It took about 10 boils to get it to the point I could stick a very small straight screw driver in the "barrel that the cable slides into. I was then able to rotate and work the barrel back and forth while pulling up on the cable to free the barrel.
JerryR
JerrryR

Return to Reliable and Reasonable Resources