1964 XLCH Restoration

This Forum is for members to describe the restoration process they used in building their bike - in a series of postings describing each step from acquisition through road-worthy.

This is NOT a general discussion forum. Sit back and learn the techniques - and mistakes - that another member has gone through.

You may ask questions of the member who started the topic, but most of the postings within a topic should be submitted by the member who started the topic.

1964 XLCH Restoration

Postby dave swanson » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:40 am

About 20 years ago I tore down my 64 XLCH for restoration. This happened soon after I finished restoring my 1956 KHK. The plan was to transition right from the KHK restoration to the XLCH, but life and many other bike restorations got in the way of this plan. I decided that 20 years was long enough and have shoved the XLCH to the front burner.

When I purchased the XLCH it was a solid project. All the major important stuff was correct, but it had a later gas tank, later speedo, lots of wrong and incorrect finish hardware, and a V-Twin seat. Once I had found a correct gas tank, I had the paint, chrome, and cad plating done right after I tore it down. Now the challenge was remembering exactly where I had squirreled everything away! :D BTW, finding a correct gas tank 20 years ago was pretty tough. I can imagine finding one today would be quite a bit more difficult. I am glad I picked one up 20 years ago.

I started with something easy and fun. I had the HD spokes and nipples plated back then and was happy to find all of them in usable condition. This bike came with the somewhat rare optional Supplementary Sportster Equipment - XLH & XLCH which included Champion aluminum rims and generator end cover. The general consensus is that the "Champion" rims were actually made by Borrani but they are not marked Borrani anywhere on the rim. Just the HD part number stamped on the inside.

dave swanson

Re: 1964 XLCH Restoration

Postby dave swanson » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:50 am

Here's a couple shots of my KHK before and after. It started out as a massive pile of crap, but it had a correct 1 year only frame and a mostly correct motor with good VIN stamp and title.

It has been a Winner's Circle bike for a number of years.

dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:13 am

Here is a couple as purchased shots. Everywhere you look there is incorrectness, but still a solid bike to start with.

dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:22 am

The wheels went together without drama, especially after I remembered that although the front spokes are all the same length there are 2 different length "doglegs". :) First year of the full width front brake. Lots of nicknames out there for it.

dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:26 am

I am using the Goodyear Grasshopper replicas made by Allstate and called Dirtman. These are great looking tires and won't break the bank like a set of NOS Grasshoppers would.

dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:38 am

The next step was assembling the shocks. The re-chromed shock towers, cad plated bits, and other parts had been patiently waiting after being squirreled away on a shelf in this little back room for many years!

dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:09 am

The front end and frame went together very well. I had prepared and painted most of this years ago. I completely forgot that I had a new set of fork tubes stored away and was pleased that the fork tube to leg bushing fit was perfect.

dave swanson

Postby dave swanson » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:14 am

One of the parts on this bike I am most happy to own is the seat. About 15 years ago a co-worker told me about a Sportster seat he had taken off a bike 30 years or more prior, had wrapped it in pillowcases, and carefully stashed it away where no one else could find it. He became intrigued with my bike and wanted it to go on it. We agreed on a price and I promptly wrapped it in pillowcases and stashed it in a protected spot for the past 15 years. That is until yesterday! Finally mounted! Stoked! You are now caught up to the current state. Lots of stuff to go! At this time I am working on wiring the taillight and then will mount the rear fender.

dave swanson

Postby Cave's OSC » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:11 am

Hello
The restoration is packed with information, good pictures. Marvelous. In examining the photos, I didn't happen upon the carburetor manifold either before or after picture?
If you have any could you post them? I would also like to see the carburetor after restoration itself if you have any.
Thanks
Cave's OSC

Postby dave swanson » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:09 am

Cave's OSC wrote:Hello
The restoration is packed with information, good pictures. Marvelous. In examining the photos, I didn't happen upon the carburetor manifold either before or after picture?
If you have any could you post them? I would also like to see the carburetor after restoration itself if you have any.
Thanks

Here's the manifold. The DC-12 needs a bit of work yet.

dave swanson

Next

Return to Restoration Stories