Seat Post Bushing Removal - HELP!

Production K Models

Seat Post Bushing Removal - HELP!

Postby Mayday53 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:48 am

So I decided to properly repair the seat post roller assembly today. However, the numbskull that I hired to help me rebuild 55KHK bike a few years ago cut off the tops of the plunger bolts, just dumb. Now I need to pull them out and replace, but the seat post bushing sleeves are stuck in the downtube. I could have used an expansion block if the roller were still in it but now there is nothing other than about 3" of cut off plunger.

Ideas? I was thinking weld a long T-bar on the posts and pound upward to pull out...but I hate being that "aggressive" with a finished bike...well once this gets done it will be finished.
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Re: Seat Post Bushing Removal - HELP!

Postby roadbum » Sun May 30, 2021 7:36 am

Sounds like maybe you could drill and tap the plunger and try a slide hammer. Tom.
roadbum

Postby Mayday53 » Sun May 30, 2021 11:17 pm

roadbum wrote:Sounds like maybe you could drill and tap the plunger and try a slide hammer. Tom.

I guess I would have to pin it somehow to ensure it did not depress. But maybe drill a hole laterally, install hardened pin/rod and use slide hammer...you got me thinking, thanks.
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby wtur » Mon May 31, 2021 10:20 am

Hi MAYDAY,
Having dealt with numerous problems like yours, and being a welder, Here's what I would do.
Assuming that (without pics) the 2 seat post eyes have been cut, making the removal of the sleeves a problem, I would tig a piece of 1/8" flat stock with with a drilled hole onto what's left of your seat posts, and have at them with a slide hammer. Deal with them individually. If using an arc or mig welder, be sure to mask the area (leather works well for this). If done carefully, you might even save the sleeves. should take only minutes.
When finished, you might post your chosen method and results.
Good luck, and remember, "free advice is only worth what you pay for it" -Walt
wtur

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK