Clutch Cable Length

Production K Models

Clutch Cable Length

Postby Promod117 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:20 am

Looking for the original Control Coil length for the 38602-53B clutch cable. That is the K model cable with Speedster bars. Most replacements are the -57 cable which is 51-1/2" from coil end to ferrule end. It appears to me the -53 cable is a little shorter.

Thanks,
Paul
Promod117

Re: Clutch Cable Length

Postby wz507 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:44 pm

I strapped the clutch cable on my KHK and came up with ~ 48”. If it were my project I’d opt for the longer cable. That way you can install it from the bottom (under cam cover) upward, clamping as you go and when you get to the top through the handlebar eyelet, decide what length gives a pleasing arc over to the hand lever and is sufficiently generous in length that it doesn't pull/bind when moving the handlebars through their full range of motion. One other consideration that is critical when altering the cable length is to assure the projection of the cable between the cam cover and the worm arm in the kicker cover is the correct length. Hopefully the simple schematic below conveys the dimensions I am referring to. Let us know how you make out and what length cable you end up making.

KHK Clutch Cable.jpg
KHK Clutch Cable.jpg (69.35 KiB) Viewed 15288 times
wz507

Postby Promod117 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:11 pm

Thanks for the illustration. I replied to this yesterday but I don't see the post.... This is close to what I'm coming up with but need a few additional details. The cable I have (which I thing is a stock replacement) has 8" of travel. Definitely worth double checking the other cable I have!
A couple of questions.....

The black solid ends, Does the clutch cable also have the 45109-49 ferrules? top an bottom or just top?

If it does have the parkerized ferrules, how much of the spiral sticks out of the top for the adjuster? If it's also at the botton, I imagine just enough for the cad ferrule.

I'm sure I'll think of others as soon as I hit "Post"

Thanks,
Paul
Promod117

Postby wz507 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:32 pm

Promod117 wrote:A couple of questions.....

The black solid ends, Does the clutch cable also have the 45109-49 ferrules? top an bottom or just top?

If it does have the parkerized ferrules, how much of the spiral sticks out of the top for the adjuster? If it's also at the botton, I imagine just enough for the cad ferrule.

I'm sure I'll think of others as soon as I hit "Post"

Thanks,
Paul

Mine has ferrules on both ends. On the top end, the coil stick-out equals the full length of the adjuster, i.e., with the adjuster screwed onto the coil all the way to the ferrule, the coil fully fills the thread in the adjuster end to end. After adjusting the cable length with the adjuster for proper slack in the cable, when I look inside the adjuster from the lever end, the coil is withdrawn inside the adjuster by about the same length (3/16"?) it projects out of the adjuster in the image below.
KHK clutch cable - lever end.jpg
KHK clutch cable - lever end.jpg (83.01 KiB) Viewed 14859 times

KHK clutch cable - cam cover end.jpg
KHK clutch cable - cam cover end.jpg (71.53 KiB) Viewed 14859 times
wz507

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK