KH vs KHK - outward differences

Production K Models

KH vs KHK - outward differences

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:16 am

A neophyte question here guys... are there physical differences between a KH & KHK engines? I heard one Patrick? talking about measuring the cams? Just curious if something I should see between the two from the outside. Also, any way of repairing broken fins?
Thanks all… it's interesting hearing everybody's stories.
Mike

Re: KH vs KHK - outward differences

Postby sportsterpaul » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:00 am

For repairing fins, the only guys I know that can weld cast iron is Kenny and his son Kerry Puccio in San Jose CA. I saw him repair aluminum fins too, while the head was mounted on the bike- he just build it up and it looked great when he was done.
sportsterpaul

Postby thefrenchowl » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:32 am

Hi Mike,

There are no differences on the outside from K to KK or KH to KHK. Except 56 KHK transfer on the oil tank and serial numbers in all 53 to 56 years.

Inside, the cams are instantly recognisable cause their drive gears are narrower than the cam themselves, opposite on a K/KH, so even if you can't check the timing, it's a sure indicator, ie at a swap meet.

Next you can measure the lift, .375 thou KK/KHK against .275 K/KH

For heads, dead easy as well, K/KH are just as cast, KK/KHK have a small lick above the valves with a milling machine tool to gain more clearance.

That's a drill driven tool you can make out of an old valve to touch the heads and use the cylinder as a jig:

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks Patrick. Have you had any luck repairing fins? Paul, do you have contact for the guy in California?
Mike
Mike

Postby sportsterpaul » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:00 pm

sportsterpaul

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:36 pm

I am restoring a 55 KHK and my valves do not have the ribs/fins on the top like those in the photo...what is going on with those ribs/fins on the top of the valves?
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks, Paul!
Mike
Mike

Postby thefrenchowl » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:09 pm

Mayday,

These are TOOLS to machine your heads for correct valve clearance when using higher lift KK/KHK cams... ; O )

You set these in the cylinder, set valve lift with a stopper, cutting tip on inlet valve is 120 thou thick, 80 thou on exhaust valve, use these in the cylinder guides, tighten head and machine head until stopper on the shaft comes in contact with the bottom of the guide, Hey presto, 120 thou clearance on one side, 80 on the other... The 2 shims on the bottom photo are the lift, 375 thou.

Patrick
Flat Head Forever
https://web.archive.org/web/20071011184353/http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/index.htm
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die so let me live my life the way I want to...
thefrenchowl

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Extremely cool!
Mike

Postby Mayday53 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:49 pm

Fantastic! I cleaned up mine by hand, but man, that would have been an awesome way to do it. The true, home-grown ingenuity I see on this site never ceases to amaze me,
"Mayday"

"Respect is given, disrespect is earned"
Mayday53

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK