Little Red Gen/Oil Lenses

Production K Models

Little Red Gen/Oil Lenses

Postby hennesse » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Does anyone have a source for the little red gen/oil lenses that go in the 52-58 headlights?

I'm having my headlight rechromed. The back of the lenses were melted to hold them in place. I managed to removed them in one piece, but I sincerely doubt that I can re-install them - I might be able to, but they'd probably vibrate apart after a few miles.

I'm guessing I'll be haunting the hobby stores and arts-and-craft stores soon. Perhaps there is something sold by an electronics store (few of these around anymore, and not possible to go scrounging through a huge distributor like Mouser). Some old cars, like in the 1930s and 1940s, had taillights that had a similar little lens on the top of the taillight, but I'm not that familiar with old cars.

I'm sure others have faced this problem. What did you do?
Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: Little Red Gen/Oil Lenses

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:45 pm

That's probably a tough one Dave. I have seen a selection of lamps at Radio Shack, I'll stop in and see. They aren't very tall is one thing I noticed.
EKHKHK56

Postby 55khkjoe » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:50 pm

Dave, a soldering iron works good for this, I had gotten some nos red plastic ones from Jerry and it worked good. give Al a buzz he might have some, countdown to Oley has started. Joe
55khkjoe

Postby sportsterpaul » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:49 pm

OK, this is getting pretty crazy, but you can look at that clear acrylic casting stuff that people put coins or feathers in. I am sure they have dye you can add to make it red. Then take the old ones and push into clay or silicone molding compound. once you have the face indented, you will have to build up the walls and other features. Not a simple job, so I would pray there there is some re-pop parts you can scavenge. Are the big-bike dash parts similar?
sportsterpaul

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:24 pm

I've seen guys make lenses from scratch, with molds etc. Never tried it. I think I have a set Dave. In an otherwise poor headlamp. I'll take a look in the daytime. :D
EKHKHK56

Postby hennesse » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:01 pm

I may have found the lenses - or at least ones that are pretty darn close!

I went to an appliance store, and a General Electric Artistry Range has "hot" indicator lights that look exactly the same size from the outside. I ordered two of these lenses, but I just sent my headlight to New England Chrome Plating, and I won't have it back for a couple months. So I can check the "look" of the lenses when I get them, but I won't be able to check the "fit" until I get the headlight back.

It looks like you need to cut off part of the rear projection, and then melt them with a soldering iron to affix in place. I suspect the headlight metal is much thinner than the range front, so the "pop-in" feature probably wouldn't work.

GE # WB25T10041 You can get them here: https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/ ... WB25T10041 However, you may need your Powerball winnings to afford them.

WB25T10041.jpg
GE # WB25T10041
WB25T10041.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 15051 times

If anyone gets some and tries them out, please let us know!
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby sean » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:35 pm

i need a set as well,ill check out the link...in the mean time i had already cut 2 round circles of red thick transparent eye gaurd rubber material...not sure of its real name.scored it from our automation dept.they use it around robotic welding and lazer machines they build.you can just see thru it.anyways it turned out well as they shine like worn glass and my guess is no one would know unless they poked it .i used transparent glue on the inside of the shell to hold in place.
sean

Postby hennesse » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:14 pm

I picked up the GE range lenses yesterday, but my headlight is at the chrome-plater.

The lip of the originals is about .40 wide, but only .36 wide on the new ones.

The diameter of the barrel is about .30 - the same on both the originals and the new ones. The barrel is longer than needed, so it needs to be shaved a little before melting into place.

The color is a shade lighter than the original, but pretty close.

It'll probably be March before I get my headlight shell back, but I think this might be a winner.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Looks good Dave. I wonder if you could use an E clip to retain? The melt method is probably the way to go...
EKHKHK56

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK