K Model Engine Case Differences

Production K Models

K Model Engine Case Differences

Postby JerrryR » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:32 pm

Hi All,
I could use some help with a K model research project I've been playing with. I am working on a "Bulletin/Report" on the differences in K model engine cases between 52 & 56. I have taken it about as far as I can at this time due to lack of sample cases to examine. Dave H has been kind enough to post the draft of the report on this site under "Technical" labeled "Crankcases". If you get a chance please check it out and provide any pictures and insights you may be able too. In addition criticism is welcome in that if I screw up I want to know it so corrections can be made. Below I will post 3 pictures showing the introductory statement of what I think and what I need halp with as well as one of the pictures showing the approach I have taken to highlighting case differences. This is a work in progress that is only about 70% complete.
Thanks in advance for your help,
JerryR

Intoduction Email 1.JPG
Intoduction Email 1.JPG (169.19 KiB) Viewed 7405 times

Intoduction Email 2.JPG
Intoduction Email 2.JPG (161.8 KiB) Viewed 7405 times

Intoduction Email 3.JPG
Intoduction Email 3.JPG (97.68 KiB) Viewed 7405 times
JerrryR

Re: K Model Engine Case Differences

Postby Tim The Grim » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:20 pm

New member, 1st post.
FYI... My 54KHK 24## has no trapdoor .

Good luck with your endeavors !
54KHK (Current Build),2013 XL1200V “72” Hard Candy, 97 Honda Valkyrie
Tim The Grim

Re: K Model Engine Case Differences

Postby JerrryR » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks Tim and Tom for getting back to me with 54K VIN/Trap Door information. I am rethinking my approach to analyzing this trap door emergence topic. Rather then using VINS alone to try and get a handle on when the trap door appeared I think the better approach is to use Belly Numbers. My using about the mid 2100 for the VINs as a starting point for the trap door would not explain Tim's 24XX VIN KHK without the trap door, at least at first glance. Here is how I account for this discrepancy. The KHK engines were basically hand made performance machines. I'm guessing that it took some time to knock out the KHKs compared to the KHs. So I could envision two sets of cases on the factory floor right at about the transitioning point, one with the trap door and one without. The one with out the trap door gets earmarked to become a KHK and the one with the trap door is destined to become a KH. The KH with the trap door gets completed in a timely fashion and is stamped with a late 2100 VIN. The one to become a KHK takes considerably longer to get built and when it finally gets a VIN it is in the 2400s. Something I find interesting is that the attached table shows two 24XX VIN KHKs, one with the trap door and one without. If some of you could send in the first couple numbers of your 54K VINs and Belly numbers we might be able to finally really get a handle on about when the transition occurred.
Thanks for the help folks,
Have a great night,
JerryR

Trap Door Table 4.JPG
Trap Door Table 4.JPG (120.24 KiB) Viewed 7337 times
JerrryR

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK