please help me figure my frame out 53 k ?

Production K Models

Re: please help me figure my frame out 53 k ?

Postby JerrryR » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:59 am

Besides checking the rear downtubes for cracks also check the underside of the kickstand tab to see if it is starting to crack.
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby benm492 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:14 am

Would anyone like to buy the frame ? I found a crack on bottom left tube about 5 inches up from kickstand, it is split open on the bottom for maybe an inch, could be fixed "even I could fix it if I spent a hour or so on it, but I'm thinking I could cut the frame up so it fits in a box and mail it out, I do sell on ebay but in these type cases id rather see the frame go to one of the people in this group, I will def get better pictures up for yall too. Could maybe sell it to the best offer on Sunday and ship out on Monday ??? This way I could maybe follow a post from a person on this website and see the frame used to get a bike more correct or corrected with this frame or a full build ?? That would neat. Ebay to me is more of like a one night stand, you have some fun but then its gone and never to be heard of again. I love old Harleys and pretty much anything on 2 or 3 and sometimes 4 wheels. Thanks everyone and feel free to shine in on this I need any and all input. If it helps in any way my uncle had got a large sum of money back in the early 70's and bought all sorts of Race bikes, scramblers, TT's Bsa Triumph Ameracchie Harley HummerStuff, CRS Sprints type units Just about everything he thought was neat and most times Rare, A lot of his complete bikes where sold threw Bonhams Auctions. Anywho id love any input or any interest in the frame, I know ill never use it like it prob should be used so I gotta let it go
benm492

Postby sportsterpaul » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:33 pm

Good gosh, don't cut the frame into pieces so it fits in a box. The frame is worth way more in one piece. I have bought a frame on eBay that was shipped to me by UPS. All the guy did was wrap the frame in that clear plastic wrapping sheet that shippers use. In the middle he taped the shipping label. I was amazed UPS delivered it, and with no complaint. The delivery guy did say they liked the plastic so it does not have sharp edges, but he said you could tape a label to the top tube and it still would get delivered.

Please talk to your UPS guy and ask what you can get away with for this. I know for a fact the frame by itself weighs less than 72 pounds, so can ship it normal UPS, not freight.

And many of us list something on eBay and just leave a tip on the forum, as a courtesy. Thanks for worrying about the gang here, it is nice to see these things go to a good home.
sportsterpaul

Postby 55panman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:40 pm

I have sent and received a number of frames through UPS. Usually just take apart a cardboard box and wrap around top tube and bottom two tubes, leave rest exposed. That way you have somewhere to put a label. Let us know what you want to do with this frame. I'm interested. Ron
55panman

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:20 pm

I've sent and received several frames by UPS. Some people did little more than tag them and ship to making a snug box to fit in. What I was told by UPS was no sharp edges exposed that would damage other freight boxes. Like the foot peg mounts, etc. So if you cut some heater hose you can slide it over those tubes sticking out and rear frame parts also making them insulated from other freight. Than just wrap a large peice of cardboard around the main frame and secure with banding for some protection and a spot for label. Yes do not cut to ship! The cellophane wrap is a good idea also for ease. Erik K

T
EKHKHK56

Postby benm492 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:37 pm

I have looked at a lot of frame pictures, I wonder why the one I have has a solid 1 1/2 in wide braze weld on the neck. Looks like the butt joints we brazed in collage
benm492

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:58 pm

That's sounds like perhaps a repair or reinforcement someone added. Neck and back bone tube junction?
EKHKHK56

Postby strong56KH » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:53 pm

I have shipped a frame by strapping a piece of styrofoam, the width of the foot peg studs, to the bottom and then wrapping the whole thing in plastic wrap. Another I shipped in a bicycle box. Bicycle shops generally throw out the boxes that new bikes come in and will give them away free. Tape bubble wrap around any sharp edges of the frame. I found that UPS ground is the best price.
strong56KH

Postby benm492 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Ok, we have a ups about 20 miles north of us, if anyone is interested in frame I can text message pictures. open to offers
benm492

Postby 55panman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:23 am

I'm interested in the frame. Can I put my email address on here? Thanks, Ron
55panman

PreviousNext

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK