kh 54 spoke colours

Production K Models

kh 54 spoke colours

Postby fulvio » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:52 pm

hi guys,
hello to everybody
need help to restoring wheels of an old kh 54. How are treated the surfaces of the spokes? (Cadmium, chrome, ss?)
thanks in advance!
fulvio

Re: kh 54 spoke colours

Postby EKHKHK56 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Yes Cad plated would be stock. Not chrome. Now many people use SS for durability and it looks close to Cad. I had heard that SS spokes had been "accepted " as being OK with the inspectors as in being judged at a show or when motorcycle is appraised for value. I can not say for sure if that is true. The rim is chrome normally. (Some where available black.) But just a single plate not like triple show chrome.The brake hub should be a black color that is 80% gloss finish. For spray can folks Krylon makes a black that I feel meets the shade very well. It is KRYLON INDUSTRIAL RUST TOUGH #00799. I buy these at NAPA or any large industrial hardware store. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby Simon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:56 am

I hear that bead blasting the stainless spokes dulls them a touch to make them somewhat resemble cad, but never tried it myself.

Curious - were cad rims ever offered by the factory, such as in the early years during the Korean War due to chrome shortages?
I ask because I have one early rim that looks as if it may have been cad plated - although it could be due to faded chrome...
Simon

Postby fulvio » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:13 am

EKHKHK56 wrote:Yes Cad plated would be stock. Not chrome. Now many people use SS for durability and it looks close to Cad. I had heard that SS spokes had been "accepted " as being OK with the inspectors as in being judged at a show or when motorcycle is appraised for value. I can not say for sure if that is true. The rim is chrome normally. (Some where available black.) But just a single plate not like triple show chrome.The brake hub should be a black color that is 80% gloss finish. For spray can folks Krylon makes a black that I feel meets the shade very well. It is KRYLON INDUSTRIAL RUST TOUGH #00799. I buy these at NAPA or any large industrial hardware store. Erik K

Hi Erik, thanks for precious informations. they confirm my doubt. and about the nipples?
fulvio

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:26 am

Yes they should match. Cad. No problem please ask any questions! :D
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:32 am

So that Krylon #00799 is the large 20 Oz size and says Glossy Black but is a semi gloss in reality. I compared it too many factory painted black parts and it really appears to be a good match. They have Flat Black also. That's not what you want...
EKHKHK56

Postby fulvio » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:45 am

EKHKHK56 wrote:Yes they should match. Cad. No problem please ask any questions! :D

Does the nipples have some surface treatment? :roll:
fulvio

Postby fulvio » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:48 am

EKHKHK56 wrote:So that Krylon #00799 is the large 20 Oz size and says Glossy Black but is a semi gloss in reality. I compared it too many factory painted black parts and it really appears to be a good match. They have Flat Black also. That's not what you want...

powder coating could be acceptable?
fulvio

Postby DaveC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:40 am

Regarding the spokes for the half brake front wheel, Buchannan's makes a correct gauge center reduced stainless steel spoke and nipple set. They are however not dimensionally identical to nor interchangeable with the OEM HD carbon steel spokes and nipples. They also have a small B on the head end of the spoke, which can be removed by careful sanding. If you do not media blast the spoke and nipples to simulate cadmium plating, the AMCA will deduct a 1/4 point for each wheel. If you use those spokes on the front wheel, you will probably need to use stainless steel on the rear wheel to match.

I used those spokes with the above described modifications on the 53 KRM in the gallery section.
DaveC

Postby hennesse » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:25 pm

DaveC wrote:Regarding the spokes for the half brake front wheel, Buchannan's makes a correct gauge center reduced stainless steel spoke and nipple set. They are however not dimensionally identical to nor interchangeable with the OEM HD carbon steel spokes and nipples. They also have a small B on the head end of the spoke, which can be removed by careful sanding. If you do not media blast the spoke and nipples to simulate cadmium plating, the AMCA will deduct a 1/4 point for each wheel. If you use those spokes on the front wheel, you will probably need to use stainless steel on the rear wheel to match.

I used those spokes with the above described modifications on the 53 KRM in the gallery section.

Buchanan sells both stainless and plain steel spokes (perhaps not every configuration). I agonized over the decision, but then ordered the stainless for both front and rear of my 54 KH with 19" wheels, since I plan to ride the bike, and the stainless will never rust. I sent them samples of the 4 different spokes and nipples. You are right - they are not identical, but the spokes are so close that nobody will notice (except maybe you Dave). The nipples however, are a different story - the flats on my originals are .20 long, while the flats on the Buchanan nipples are .40 long.

There's a story in the latest AMCA magazine about a 1915 Henderson with incorrect nipples - the nipples had 4 flats instead of 2. The owner went ahead and changed the nipples to get that last 1/4 point. A 1915 Hen is worth at least $200K. A 1954 KH is worth $20K. I think I can live with a 1/4 point deduction.
hennesse
Site Admin

Next

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK