Air Filter Element

Production K Models

Air Filter Element

Postby EKHKHK56 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:54 pm

Howdy folks. Does anybody have the part number and maker name for the modern K Model air filter? Thanks a lot, Erik
EKHKHK56

Re: Air Filter Element

Postby hennesse » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:05 am

Erik,

I tried the Fram CA77 on my 62 XLCH. It physically fit perfectly, but the filter was way too restrictive - ok at idle, but the engine wouldn't rev up without gasping for breath. I ended up going back to the olde copper mesh-pack.

I suspect years ago, the CA77 used to have a "looser" filter element that would work fine, but after Harleys stopped using them, they tightened up the filter to give better filtration for smaller (like rototiller) engines, but still give adequate air flow for those engines. Just a guess though.

Anyway, I gave up looking, and just use the copper mesh. Not as convenient, but with periodic cleaning, they still work fine after 50 or 60 years.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby 1955KH » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:06 am

When we rebuilt my 55KH we needed an element for the J-Slot Air Cleaner [1952-55].
I wondered if there was a modern replacement and found folks had their own ideas but not one final answer. I realised it was almost impossible to know whether an element was fitting correctly. There needs to be the appropriate amount of crush when the cover is fitted. If insufficient, air will just escape past the element which might as well not be there. If crushed too much an element can easily be distorted, cracked and not do the job.
But not to worry, experts have the answer. I believe that Jim Parker of Parker Indian, Victoria, Australia first invented what he named the ‘Raceway’ Air Filter Kit. Also a Velocity Kit that fits within the filter to extract that last horsepower. It was taken on by a number of dealers in the States, notably Jerry Greer’s Engineering of South Dakota.
On http://www.jerrygreersengineering.com, select 1953 Chief, or Part# Search for JG-2922, the K&N Kit for the J-Slot Filter on the Ks. The Filter Element only is JG-3071 [K&N E-3180] but this can only be used with the adaptor plate in the initial kit purchased.
At the time I considered this kit a bit pricey, even though it is a once only purchase, the element being washable. But considering my mileage is low on clean roads I stuck with the original type copper mesh, V-Twin #34-0907 [J&P 400-270].
J-Slot Air Cleaner.jpg
1955KH

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Great, Thank You. That will work!
EKHKHK56

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK