56KHK Tank Emblems

Production K Models

56KHK Tank Emblems

Postby wz507 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:56 pm

I received a couple different sets of tank emblems with my basket case and recently purchased some new ones along with the mounting strips from HD. My first question is, which of the emblem styles was OEM for a 56 KHK? Item #1 is a light weight thin sectioned emblem with very thin edges on the back side. Item #2 is heavy (weighs 2X-3X the weight of item #1 and feels like zinc or lead), has thick edges and is thick in general, and is relatively flexible. Item #3 is the recently purchased HD emblem and is light weight and built exactly like item #1.

20161017_153446.jpg
20161017_153446.jpg (111.76 KiB) Viewed 11863 times

20161017_153535.jpg
20161017_153535.jpg (71.31 KiB) Viewed 11863 times

My next thought regards fitting the emblems to a finished tank. Someone along the way removed the emblem mounts from the tank, so it is bare aside from the remaining dimples on the side of the tank. Placing the new emblems and brackets on the tank and eyeballing the fit suggests this will be a somewhat dicey ordeal to get it all fit up properly given the complex curves.

The tank mounting strips supplied with the emblems are very thin sheet metal backed with industrial grade foam tape, so when attached to the tank, the bracket will sit up off the tank surface slightly due to the foam tape. I was intending to solder them on, but am slightly concerned about their thin nature and how far they’ll be from the emblem. I wish I could see what an original tank looked like with the factory brackets attached. Anybody have a picture of same or any other advice in the matter?
wz507

Re: 56KHK Tank Emblems

Postby hennesse » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:42 pm

I had the same problem with my 1954 KH - see under Gallery:Barnsters Dave Hennessey 1954 KH.

#2 sounds like the real thing.

#1 and #3 sound like the Taiwanese repop that Harley sells as Part-number-dash-T where T=Taiwan. They have the foam adhesive strips so you can put these replica emblems on any kind of tank you want.

You need to find someone with a 1956 (sorry, not me) tank to measure your mounting strips, so you can fabricate them and solder them to your tank. Jim Garrett did a pattern for me from his 1954, and my buddy fabricated the mounting strips for me. Strong56 - or anyone - can you do a pattern for a 1956?

The tank strips captivate the little nuts which the emblem screws screw into, so you've got to make sure you have them first.

This makes you want to stamp your feet, and cuss and moan. Welcome to the K-model club.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby EKHKHK56 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:44 pm

I can provide information when I get back to Alaska. Just had Mom's service and going home soon. Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby strong56KH » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Yes, I can provide templates of the mount strips. I also have templates of the tank panels that Dave Swanson kindly sent me (if you need them as well). You can easily tell the current reproductions of the emblems from the earlier versions. The tip of the first "a" on the left emblem overlaps the left edge of the big V and on the right emblem, the backbone of the small "d" is off center to the right on the big V. On the earlier versions, the tip of first "a" falls just on the edge of the big V and the backbone of the small "d" is centered in the V. I would agree with Dave that the middle emblem is probably original since it follows with the earlier K and KH emblems which were made of the same material. The cut of the no. 1 emblem is exactly the same as the no. 2 as far as I can tell and could be a later issue by Harley or a good earlier reproduction. It would be great to get others opinions on this. The AMCA forums might have something on this since there are big twin folks over there. I bought a set of the current reproductions to see if they would fit on the original mounts. They won't attach using the original short screws and won't sit flush without modification to the back side. They are very nice emblems and are much cheaper than a set of originals. Don't waste your money buying them on fleaBay, order from your local dealer at $33.0.
strong56KH

Postby Simon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:57 pm

Quick question sorry - don't the older OEM badges have "Fox" or some manufacturer on the rear - I was that just the OEM and better repop anniversary badges for the front fender?
Simon

Postby wz507 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:50 pm

strong56KH wrote:I bought a set of the current reproductions to see if they would fit on the original mounts. They won't attach using the original short screws and won't sit flush without modification to the back side. They are very nice emblems and are much cheaper than a set of originals. Don't waste your money buying them on fleaBay, order from your local dealer at $33.0.

Yes, it appears to be more than a trivial undertaking to get the emblem, the mount and the tank contour to harmonize and provide a nice lay of the emblem on the tank. As you note the current reproduction emblems are very nice, but the thin sheet metal mounting bracket and the foam tape mounting leaves something to be desired. The foam tape selected for the mount is a high performance 3M acrylic tape, which is a great tape, but IMHO appears to be significantly too thin to position the bracket properly. Such tapes are available in a variety of thickness, and ultimately a thicker version may work fine. However I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the bracket were slightly sturdier and soldered in place. Just my $0.02.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Brands/3M-VHB-Tape/
wz507

Postby strong56KH » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:21 am

The original 1952-54 emblems did have a manufacturer stamped in very small print on the backside along the bottom edge. I have examples of the #1 and #2 55-56 emblems above and don't see anything stamped on the backside. Of these, the middle emblem #2 has fine sanding or grinding marks that were done before being chromed, have round mounting holes, and the edges of the lettering are blunt. The #1 is smooth on the back, have slightly oblong mounting holes, have lettering with sharp edges, and a dimple in the front on the backside. I think these latter ones match those on the 56 Elvis bike at the Harley Museum. The only ones I know that had FOX stamped on the backside were the 1963-65 ones.
strong56KH

Return to K, KK, KH, KHK