Rear Brake Crossover Shaft Tube Straightening

All things K & Sportster

Rear Brake Crossover Shaft Tube Straightening

Postby jOe » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:55 pm

‘62 XLCH frame with a slightly bent rear brake crossover tube. Maybe 3/16”- 1/4” max. I’d like to get it straight.
I’m thinking- heat, a bar inside and a little pounding with the Sportster hammer.
Anyone with experience /better ideas with this?
jOe

Re: Rear Brake Crossover Shaft Tube Straightening

Postby JerrryR » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:39 pm

Hi Joe,
I have never straightened one but I have replaced several. I used a Dremel to grind out the tack welds, a torch to melt the silver solder and a press to push the old one out and the new one in. I did purchase a reamer to clean the bores of solder to press in the new tube. I had a few of them made up out of chrome molly with the appropriate length and ID and OD. If you decide to go the replacement route I can loan you the reamer and sell you a tube for my cost.
Good luck,
Jerry
JerrryR

Postby jOe » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. As I said, the tube is only slightly tweaked, actually it’s functional but I’d like to get it right. I think I can finesse it back to normal with some heat and pressure. If not, I’ll have to get one of your tubes.
The reamer- used to clean up the holes the tomahawks?
jOe

Postby Staffords » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:58 pm

Jerry, I would like to purchase one of these crossover tubes if you have any more available. Need it to restore my 61 XLCH frame. I'll send a PM!
Staffords

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions