Seat springs - length ??

All things K & Sportster

Seat springs - length ??

Postby hennesse » Mon May 01, 2023 6:39 pm

Does anyone have a set of original, used, or repro seat springs that they can measure the length of same?

The frame on my 1962 XLCH broke where the twin downtubes under the seat meet the horizontal top member. I'm having the frame repaired, and want to make sure that my seat springs are not collapsed, as I really don't want to go through this sudden low-rider experience again!

Mine are 6-3/4" and 3-1/4" long. What are yours?

Thanks,
Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Re: Seat springs - length ??

Postby starcain » Tue May 02, 2023 5:33 pm

Dave, Most of us guys would probably love to add an extra inch in length, but, in this case your an inch too long on the long spring. All my long ones measure 5-3/4" and my one and only extra short one I have is the same as yours 3-1/4"
starcain

Postby ChillyWilly » Tue May 02, 2023 6:06 pm

I found uneven length when installing springs, then spent a long time fishing out bits of old spring from frame tube bottom. Hope you will not find this problem. Best of luck.
Brian
To bring a bit of the past back to life seems a good thing...
ChillyWilly

Postby hennesse » Tue May 02, 2023 7:26 pm

starcain wrote:Dave, Most of us guys would probably love to add an extra inch in length, but, in this case your an inch too long on the long spring. All my long ones measure 5-3/4" and my one and only extra short one I have is the same as yours 3-1/4"

Nope, I don't have any extra - I wrote the figures down and then lost the scrap of paper on the way from the workshop to the house. You know what they say about old age - the short term memory is the first to go. My long ones are 5-3/4 too.

How's the chainsaw operation going?
hennesse
Site Admin

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions