All things K & Sportster

Re: Tillitson vs Linkert on XLCH

Postby JerrryR » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:03 pm

I'll take 10 sets.
JerryR
JerrryR

Postby DaveC » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:12 pm

The Tillotson folks have asked what the market is for these. They initially agreed to sell me 50 sets but unless its necessary I don't want to get into the business. That tells m e they are willing to commit with that number of kits. They have set me a prototype kit for my comments. Based on the response so far I believe that at least 100 sets will literally fly out the door. Now that I have a number to go back to them with the next question is how to make these available. As soon as I get an answer from them then they/we can go into production. But more importantly, spread the word. There is us, the XL Forum and the AMCA web site forum. I'm sure that he Shovelhead folks also have a site. Once upon a time a company in Toledo OH, V.E. Peterson had the pumps from the production run when Tillotson was in Toledo. Peterson has sold all of the pumps. Tillotson is now in Ireland. I am open for suggestions regarding a distribution path.
DaveC

Postby ThumpStreet » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Dave,Depending on how you want to go forward,I like Jerry R. would take several kits and introduce them in the Wichita area.Shops like Truett and Osbourne,Alf's and the other V-Twin specialty shops that might be very interested.I'm sure you have already considered this contact, suppliers like the Petersen co.might not be aware that you have coordinated with Tillotson on a new production run of kits and would be happy to restock their shelves.This is just my view ,but I'd love to have made available a comprehensive kit that included everything needed to bring the old carb back to factory new without searching for welch plugs ,adjustment screws,fasteners etc.All this very positive.Keep us posted on the next step and I will support any way I can.
ThumpStreet

Postby DaveC » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:10 pm

All,
Thanks for all of the comments on my last post. It looks like at least 100+ kits will sell quickly, and that's not counting the big twin community. I have received a HD Carburetor kit from the Tillotson folks and a photo is attached for review and comment. The kit contains a diaphragm, diaphragm gasket, complete accelerator pump, main needle seat, needle and brass gasket and a manifold gasket. My input is I think that the manifold gasket can be eliminated. Should the thermal block o-rings be substituted? I am suggesting that they add the parts in the second photo, specifically the throttle and choke shaft dust seals, main jet gasket and the intermediate needle o-ring. Feel free to add comments or more parts that you think may be needed. Once I get them I will consolidate and pass to the Tilloston folks. We haven't discussed reproducing the white plastic diaphragm cover, but may in the future depending on cost and demand. The remaining task is pricing and distribution methodology. I will keep all posted.
Dave C
Attachments
tillotson parts rev 1.JPG
What I received from Tillotson
tillotson parts rev 1.JPG (321.6 KiB) Viewed 47138 times
tillotson parts rev 2.JPG
My added parts
tillotson parts rev 2.JPG (119.38 KiB) Viewed 47138 times
DaveC

Postby jOe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:17 pm

Looks good, Dave . What's the estimated retail $ on the kit?
jOe

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:35 am

Hi folks, Dave that is great, nice work. I am trying to see what's out there at different sources for parts H-D, Reproduction, etc. To get an idea of what is available these days. I ran across a listing in JP CYCLES in their Vintage Restoration Catalog for Tillotson Parts. Page #112 lists for 66-71 Sportster and Big Twin parts such as basic kit, kit with accelerator pump and adjusting screw, etc. Maybe that will help until other production starts. It might be good to know the age of the kits? If the diaphrams get hard when stored for a long time... Erik K
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:02 am

Dave, I suppose these are the parts that you mentioned that don't work or fit correctly? Than they would not be a good purchase. Just saw the ad so thought I would mention it. If they don't work JP shouldn't sell them! I suppose they are like alot of reproduction parts that are not exact replicas.
EKHKHK56

Postby ThumpStreet » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:26 am

Dave,The progress your making sounds great.The parts you've added to Tillotson's list I think are essential for a thorough job.My view is I'd like to see inlet needle,seat and gasket,throttle plate screws,choke plate screws,welch plugs.Basically everything that would bring the carb to factory new.I realize that many folks would view that as not necessary,but I look at it as convienent to not have to search around to collect what your carb will need.Maybe Tillotson would entertain different levels of kits to appeal to a broad spectrum of folks. I personally also really like hearing that you've had the conversation about reproducing the diaphragm cover.I've seen quite a few used carbs out there that the accelerator pump well has been chipped by being shuffled around over the years.Besides the average plastic cover that has been gas soaked for closing in on 50 years old gets to looking pretty jaundiced.
ThumpStreet

Postby ThumpStreet » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:30 am

Whoops,I didn't expand the attachments before my last post.Inlet needle and seat already covered and that's a good deal!
ThumpStreet

Postby ThumpStreet » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:55 pm

Yes,You are lucky!!My search has revealed that you found some rare components.I'm very enthused that Tillotson is working with Dave C. in an effort to make repair kits available again.Maybe soon we won't have to do world wide searches to find the last of the Tillotson stock hiding in the bottom of a box on a dusty shelf.
ThumpStreet

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions