XR 1000 flat slide carburettors

All things K & Sportster

Re: XR 1000 flat slide carburettors

Postby sportsterpaul » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:16 am

My buddy Dale loved the S&S "L" carb, I assume it has good response since the float is to the side of the venturi, S&S sure makes carbs that will suck a lot of air.

Man, maybe one day I will try to bump start my 1962. It has the dry clutch so it can get up to speed while in gear. It never occurred to me you have to push the bike backwards to get it far from the compression stroke. I learned pushing a bike with a buddy on it, the secret is to not stop pushing when he dumps the clutch. Being in a higher gear might help as well.

My hats off to you, its good to hear about the round-slide Mikuni from a guy that really ran them, as opposed to a "friend of a friend of a guy that he knew."
sportsterpaul

Re: XR 1000 flat slide carburettors

Postby 55panman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:03 am

Yes you have to but the bike in 2nd gear and back it up till it comes up on compression. Leave it in 2nd, in 1st gear it will have too much gear multiplication. Then you get a running start with the clutch in and as you jump on the seat you dump the clutch. Like I said though don't try to open the throttle too much right away. By backing it up on compression it gives the flywheel one full turn before it comes back up on compression and that gives it some inertia to get it over top dead center and the piston coming down again. I've bumped my Panhead and my Dynaglide had the battery go down because my regulator failed and wouldn't start when I stopped for gas. I disconnected the lights, cause they go on when the keys on, and bump started it myself in the station driveway. There WAS a very
slight downhill to the drive I took advantage of.
55panman

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions