Kickstand TAbs

All things K & Sportster

Re: Kickstand TAbs

Postby John R » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:22 pm

I'd appreciate advice. This tab breaking doesn't sound like it's common, but not rare either. Now I know why my KHK primary is welded at that location! Annealing sounds good but means motor out and then not easy to get right - overdo it and the tab may go soft and bend easy in use - just as bad.

Hammie's big-twin jiffy stand fixed to engine plate sounds good-thinking (though wouldn't impress an AMCA judge!). Just happened to have a bracket and leg so offered it up. First: there's not enough space between the 4 studs for it to mount direct - second: it would be much too high so would be too much lean on the bike when parked.

Wondering how it was done in a neat way. Hammie, do you have a photo from way-back, or anyone else? Any thoughts or advice welcomed.
John R

Postby dr dick » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:41 pm

John R wrote:I'd appreciate advice. This tab breaking doesn't sound like it's common, but not rare either. Now I know why my KHK primary is welded at that location! Annealing sounds good but means motor out and then not easy to get right - overdo it and the tab may go soft and bend easy in use - just as bad..

remember-- this part has come out of the sand at its birth and cooled in a pile of its mates in a metal bin at the foundry.
that means its in the annealed condition as fitted by the factory.

you can heat and bend the tab with the motor in if desired.
a pc of sheet steel between the top of tab and bottom motor will insulate very well.

John R wrote:Hammie's big-twin jiffy stand fixed to engine plate sounds good-thinking (though wouldn't impress an AMCA judge!). Just happened to have a bracket and leg so offered it up. First: there's not enough space between the 4 studs for it to mount direct - second: it would be much too high so would be too much lean on the bike when parked.

Wondering how it was done in a neat way. Hammie, do you have a photo from way-back, or anyone else? Any thoughts or advice welcomed.

usually the lower frame bolt got passed thru a opened-up hole of the b-t mount. then you radially locate the mount by twisting it about that bolt so its in a position thats acceptable to BOTH stand leg positions, up and down. this is important.

once you determine that mount attitude you drill for the 3 remaining bolts.

i personally dont like this conversion. you will notice that this has a tendency to turn the orig motor mount plate into a pretzel.
pretzeled engine mounts dont help 60 yr old frames stay crack free.

if you decide to do this conversion double or triple up the engine plates on the left side.
and obviously dont drill into the 52-55 front engine mount plates as they are getting pretty rare. use 56-81 plates instead.
dr dick

Postby John R » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:38 pm

I knew someone would help - thanks Dr Dick. Didn't think of using the lower engine stud!

Offering it up now, it all makes sense though the top right hole of the jiffy stand bracket would be off the edge of the engine plate. I'd already thought I'd double-up the engine plate for obvious reasons. It maybe now makes more sense for me to make a custom engine plate of 1/4 or 5/16 stock but extended on the right to take the top right bolt.

Thanks again.
John R

Previous

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions