Barnster/Old Tire-Rim *SAFETY WARNING*

All things K & Sportster

Barnster/Old Tire-Rim *SAFETY WARNING*

Postby EKHKHK56 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:54 am

This is just a warning to be careful airing up old tires and wheels!! While putting air in the front of my new 52K I experienced a blowout that shot my arm with a good dosage of rusty steel schrapnel. I was just thinking I should have my safety glasses on as I remove my regular ones to see up close when *BOOM* got knocked back a bit and very luckily didn`t get my eyes damaged. This, like any `accident`, was all my fault and a combination of mistakes! I was in a hurry, I didn`t monitor my air pressure and the bead wasn`t lubed enough when I was trying to seat it...so-- Never use more than max pressure, about 25 lbs, use plenty of bead lubricant, safety glasses. This rim and tire DID NOT appear bad from the outside, mild surface rust, some weather checking on the tire. Well when she was chained to a tree for 30 years before getting to the barn, evidently water collected at the bottom of the tire rusting out the cords inside and the inside of the rim. The blowout was my fault, however I do partly blame K fever...Erik
Attachments
tire1.jpg
tire1.jpg (47.06 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
tire2.jpg
tire2.jpg (46.78 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
EKHKHK56

Re: Barnster/Old Tire-Rim *SAFETY WARNING*

Postby dr dick » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:58 pm

geez. that is sumtin.
very few things look right hangin over a garage pin-up girl poster, but i think you nailed it.
dr dick

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions