Valve Spring Tool - How do you remove the springs?

All things K & Sportster

Valve Spring Tool - How do you remove the springs?

Postby NicksGarage » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:16 am

Hello friends, I recently pulled a KH out of my dads barn, its been sitting for more then 30 years.... Front exhaust valve is stuck.

I need to pull the cylinder or at least the valve. I cannot find any photos of a K-Model Valve spring compressor.
The cylinder base nuts are nestled behind the valve spring covers and nearly impossible to get to with a wrench.

Is there a valve spring tool that can be used with the cylinder still on the motor? Similar to one you would use on a model T Ford.
The challenge obviously is getting inside the Valve Spring Cover.

Any photos, or help is much appreciated!

Thanks-
Nick
NicksGarage

Re: Valve Spring Tool - How do you remove the springs?

Postby Rubone » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:43 am

The factory sidevalve compressor is designed to work with the engine in the frame and heads off. The cylinder base nut wrenches fits around corners and behind covers.
Attachments
DCP_3970.JPG
DCP_3970.JPG (83.01 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
DCP_3979.JPG
DCP_3979.JPG (113.95 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Rubone

Postby NicksGarage » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:31 am

Rubone wrote:The factory sidevalve compressor is designed to work with the engine in the frame and heads off. The cylinder base nut wrenches fits around corners and behind covers.

Thank you RuBone, the photos of the tool helps. I think I will have to just modify one of my spring tools to get the exhaust valve out.
Knowing that the springs can be removed with cylinders on the block confirms what I had hoped was true.

Anyone have a factory valve spring tool for sale?

It appears my cylinders have the KR style valve covers, they have the o-rings on the tappet blocks, the covers just slide up. Is there also a took to lift and lower the valve spring covers?

I did get the intake valve out, check this out!! The Valve stem is knurled from top to bottom!
Attachments
IMG_5585.JPG
IMG_5585.JPG (334.17 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
NicksGarage

Postby panic » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:12 pm

A Snap-On, Craftsman starter wrench may help
[url="http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm"]The Linkert Book[/url]
panic

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:51 pm

Hi, I was able to use the standard KD automotive tool with a modified end that reaches into cover with window for keeper removal. Like a socket or pipe piece with 2 windows notched out. Erik
EKHKHK56

Postby EKHKHK56 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:10 pm

So if you don’t have a std valve spring tool you can make one with a C clamp or ViseGrip “cowboy” of appropriate range, just add a short tube, socket, pipe to fit in ValveCover with windows notched out for keeper key access on 2 sides.
EKHKHK56

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions