patent decals

All things K & Sportster

patent decals

Postby dlark » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Hello- Is there a correct patent decal available for a 55 KH? What would it look like?
Thanks, Dave
dlark

Re: patent decals

Postby John R » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Dave,

The parts books show a patent sticker on the rear facing panel of the oil tank, but don't list the transfer (or any transfers at all). I don't know whether the same as Big Twin transfers of the time. Someone must have an original paint one with transfer intact. Come on you guys!

John
John R

Postby dlark » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:10 pm

I would think it has to be K specific as the 49 and up twins say Hydra-Glide at the top. Rick Simpson has all varieties of the big twins and advertises in the AMCA magazine(ricksdecals03@gmail) but he didn't have a correct K type. You can't see it behind the shock so I just used an early big twin one. I saw somewhere on line that there is water slid printer paper so they shouldn't be hard to make if someone has an original.
Dave
dlark

Postby fiftysevenXL » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Hopefully this will answer some questions about the patent decal.Years ago I bought an early tank(smashed in from the side)just to get the knurled oil cap.
It took me a while to find it,but here is the info: 62507-52A(45 degree feed line,52-55 vent and return line,no chain rub strip on the bottom-so late -54/55?)
Nice original paint,has the "Hydra-Glide" patent decal still in place.It is positioned as follows: near the top,the farthest left edge(where it reads "Harley-
Davidson",is 1/2" from the inside edge(back)of the tank.Near the bottom,the farthest left "point" is 9/16"-5/8" from the edge.The very bottom "point" is +/-
1-1/2"-1-5/8" above the step in the tank where the chain runs. It still has a "winged shield" dealer decal in the bottom left of the outside of the tank from
"Rich Budelier-Los Angeles";I can't read the whole thing because of the damage. "Old Dude" Vintage Parts sells all the styles of the patent decals (there are 8
different versions) and his "Hydra-Glide" is identical to the one on my tank.
The original-paint '56 KHK that I formerly owned (this is the Pepper Red one in the photos from the Florida meet) had no decal and no evidence of ever having one, so I am assuming it was only used '52-'55.
fiftysevenXL

Postby fiftysevenXL » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 am

This is to correct a mistake in my previous post regarding the dimensions for patent decal position. The distance from the chain clearance step in the tank
is 1-1/2"-1-5/8" to the lower LEFT "point" on the decal,NOT to the very bottom "point" of said decal. I think this was probably an "eyeball" process at the factory in the first place.
fiftysevenXL

Postby fiftysevenXL » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Thanks to my friend Stan we now have pictures of the oil tank with original patent decal plus a reproduction decal on his '53 KK. There is a fair amount of difference in the red border and gold background between the original and the reproduction, we are thinking this may just be due to age/heat fom the tank.
Does anyone have an original in better condition for a comparison? See the next post for placement dimensions.
Roger
Attachments
Rich Budelier.jpg
Rich Budelier.jpg (125.32 KiB) Viewed 16054 times
Patent Decal 1a.jpg
Patent Decal 1a.jpg (107.57 KiB) Viewed 16054 times
Patent Decal RPa.jpg
Patent Decal RPa.jpg (354.54 KiB) Viewed 16054 times
fiftysevenXL

Postby fiftysevenXL » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Here are dimensions as measured on the tank I have; Stan says the decal is almost completely hidden by the shock absorber so I don't think exact
placement is too critical. Hope this helps with the original question.
Roger
Attachments
Patent Decal 1.jpg
Patent Decal 1.jpg (129.28 KiB) Viewed 16048 times
fiftysevenXL

Postby Balducci » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:31 am

Thanks fifty, that's good info to know for the future.
Everyone checkout this fat burner for belly fat because it works.
Balducci

Postby GaryM2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:09 am

Just curious.... Do any other year oil tanks have these decals? I get my oil tank back from my painter today. What was on the 1957 oil tank?
GaryM2

Postby fiftysevenXL » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:43 pm

To the best of my knowledge,1955 was the last year to use the patent decal. A friend has an original paint (1955 optional) Hollywood Green oil tank that still
has the decal,my original paint '56 KHK did not have one,the '57 XL Harley Museum bike does not have one,and I have an original paint '58 XL tank that came
directly off an untouched bike (the owner replaced it with another OP tank because of a small dent),no decal. I had an original paint spare '56 tank with no decal also.
fiftysevenXL

Return to General K / Sportster Discussions