Air Cleaner Element

Classic short-frame models

Air Cleaner Element

Postby jOe » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:52 pm

Does anyone sell an authentic looking air cleaner element- 29036-56?
jOe

Re: Air Cleaner Element

Postby murph » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:41 am

Yes, Fram CA77 is as close as it gets next to NOS of course.
murph

Postby wz507 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:10 pm

The K&N E2470 is another option that flows significantly more air than a CA77.
wz507

Postby hugoct » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:03 am

A paper air filter or oiled foam air filter will filter out significantly more dust and dirt.
hugoct

Postby hennesse » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:37 am

Murph - I tried a Fram CA77 on my 1962 XLCH, and it would barely run - the motor was gasping for breath. Took it out and the motor ran perfectly.

Years ago, I looked up the applications for a CA77, and found it used on various lawn/garden equipment, like riding lawn mowers, roto-tillers, and other things with decidedly smaller engines, and consequently less air flow requirements.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby jOe » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:59 pm

I was thinking for show/judging/display. I’ll use a K&N for running it.
jOe

Postby murph » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:09 pm

hennesse wrote:Murph - I tried a Fram CA77 on my 1962 XLCH, and it would barely run - the motor was gasping for breath. Took it out and the motor ran perfectly.

Years ago, I looked up the applications for a CA77, and found it used on various lawn/garden equipment, like riding lawn mowers, roto-tillers, and other things with decidedly smaller engines, and consequently less air flow requirements.

Interesting, I run them in all the sportsters I've ever done and had no issues. I'll take it out and see if there is a major difference next time out and report back.
murph

Postby hennesse » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:01 pm

murph wrote:Interesting, I run them in all the sportsters I've ever done and had no issues. I'll take it out and see if there is a major difference next time out and report back.

Well, I've been known to be wrong before. Perhaps more often than I care to admit!

All I know is that I took out the copper mesh and put in a brand-new CA77. The bike ran fine at idle, but terrible at speed. I followed the basic scientific method, which is: undo the last thing you did. I put the copper mesh back in, and it ran fine. End of experiment.

Well, perhaps I got a bad filter. Or installed it inside out. Perhaps the high-speed needle needed to be leaned out. I didn't try anything.

Murph - we're waiting with baited breath for the results of your experiments. Maybe that Hennessey guy is just full of stuff, and has misled the tribe - and all those guys who have followed his advice and have been oiling their copper mesh packs will roast him for dinner when they find out they coulda just used a $5 throwaway paper filter.
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby Arvid Solli » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 pm

From abroad, I dont get it: an original air filter element for show purposes?
Do them judges really open the filter cover?
How about aftermarket engine internals?
How far do they dig in?
K&N chains?
I can understand the personal satisfaction of having everything spot on like when the it left The Factory- but is better really worse under these circumstances??
Arvid Solli, way up north in Sweden.
Arvid Solli

Postby GaryM2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:14 pm

The way I understand the judging rules is that the judges are not allowed to touch the bike.

When my bike was judged, the main judge scolded the other judge for opening the key switch cover to see if an original key switch was below. With that in mind, I’m not sure how they can see the air filter under the cover.

By the way, I enjoy when Hennessey makes fun of Hennessey in the earlier post! Ha ha.
GaryM2

Next

Return to 1957 to 1969